More First World Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Sadly I have a solution for this. Getting the condensation on your beer or wine :laugh:

1. Get married
2. Have kids
3. Sink all your future earnings into a house
4. Somehow buy a fridge
5. Wait until kids are tall enough to leave the fridge door not quite closed all day
6. Put beer in fridge
7. Go out
8. Come back

And hey presto! You have beer cans with condensation on it and a fridge full of food that must be cooked immediately or thrown away! :laugh:

Just wait until the kids the older - you come back to the fridge door open plus all the beer and food gone.

I put one in the freeze, it started to freeze solid. I thought the alcohol might have saved it from freezing,
So much ignorance
  1. Beer will freeze solid, expanding to the point of fracturing the bottle. I was going to say DAMHIKT, but forget that. I once had the awkward cleanup problem of two bottle shaped beer ice lollies embedded with shards of amber glass.
  2. If beer partially freezes, don't open it! The bubbles will be concentrated in the still liquid part, and will spew out of the bottle making a different sort of terrible mess and leaving you with a block of solid, flat beer.
  3. Wine will also freeze solid, but likely force out the cork or the lid, as these were not designed for withstanding pressure, rather than breaking the glass.
  4. Fortified wines ( circa 20%) will freeze into a slurry, like a slightly melted slushy. With the right wines (I suggest an Australian tokay) this can be delicious.
  5. Spirits will not freeze at all, but will become more viscous, and seem quite oily. Pop a couple of chillis in a bottle of vodka, and leave it in your freezer for a month. Quite shock to the palate as the flavour hits you.
  6. I'm now wondering what liqueurs would do in the freezer. They have as much alcohol as spirits and a lot of sugar, which also lowers the freezing temperature. I expect they would get cold but not change otherwise.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So much ignorance
  1. Beer will freeze solid, expanding to the point of fracturing the bottle. I was going to say DAMHIKT, but forget that. I once had the awkward cleanup problem of two bottle shaped beer ice lollies embedded with shards of amber glass.
  2. If beer partially freezes, don't open it! The bubbles will be concentrated in the still liquid part, and will spew out of the bottle making a different sort of terrible mess and leaving you with a block of solid, flat beer.
  3. Wine will also freeze solid, but likely force out the cork or the lid, as these were not designed for withstanding pressure, rather than breaking the glass.
  4. Fortified wines ( circa 20%) will freeze into a slurry, like a slightly melted slushy. With the right wines (I suggest an Australian tokay) this can be delicious.
  5. Spirits will not freeze at all, but will become more viscous, and seem quite oily. Pop a couple of chillis in a bottle of vodka, and leave it in your freezer for a month. Quite shock to the palate as the flavour hits you.
  6. I'm now wondering what liqueurs would do in the freezer. They have as much alcohol as spirits and a lot of sugar, which also lowers the freezing temperature. I expect they would get cold but not change otherwise.
This reminded me of something from a Terry Pratchet Disc World story and google has revealed that Apple Jack is actually a real thing....

"Applejack was historically made by concentrating cider through the traditional method of freeze distillation: The alcoholic fruit beer produced after the fall harvest was left outside during the winter. Periodically the frozen chunks of ice which had formed were removed, thus concentrating the unfrozen alcohol in the remaining liquid. Starting with the fermented juice, with an alcohol content of less than ten percent, the concentrated result can contain 25-40% alcohol."

Top Bottom