More real steel...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having finally got over the complications of my shoulder, I looked forward to an uninterrupted 2020, able to maybe do a thousand miles over the year.
Nope.
Had an MRI of my spine to see how an 8-year old fusion was doing, as I'd had some, I thought, minor but worrying problems to do with continence. Not fun...
Turns out that the 2011 op (L3/4/5 fused) is still perfect, but L2/3 and T12/L1 are compressing the spinal cord, so the fusion needs extending.

6-hour spinal op in January at Southmead, in Bristol.

The recovery time to first cycle, all being well, is less than for the shoulder, so back on the bike sometime in March.
Will have to try and get some miles and fitness in first.
Bummer, but better than incontinence, methinks!

Last edited:
good luck @DCBassman , hope your op is more successful than mine was. surgeon told me that my fusion needs extending but seeing as I didn't get the expected relief from the first one, I have declined,
I take it they have disscussed cauda equina syndrome with you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauda_equina_syndrome

Mrs M

Guru
Having finally got over the complications of my shoulder, I looked forward to an uninterrupted 2020, able to maybe do a thousand miles over the year.
Nope.
Had an MRI of my spine to see how an 8-year old fusion was doing, as I'd had some, I thought, minor but worrying problems to do with continence. Not fun...
Turns out that the 2011 op is still perfect, but L2/3 and C12/L1 are compressing the spinal cord, so the fusion needs extending.

6-hour spinal op in January at Southmead, in Bristol.

The recovery time to first cycle, all being well, is less than for the shoulder, so back on the bike sometime in March.
Will have to try and get some miles and fitness in first.
Bummer, but better than incontinence, methinks!
Good luck
xx

davidphilips

Veteran
Hope every thing goes well in January and you make a full and speedy recovery and can be pain free, try and enjoy Christmas and lets hope you can still do some miles in 2020.

Fingers crossed, best wishes and good luck.
Ta!

Top Bottom