More Than 2 Road Bikes Pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
An excellent post and sometbing that is on many cyclists minds.

Op, my friend, let me tell you what's being down in your mind. You WANT another bike, but you're currently justifying whether you should get one. The heart is saying "juuuust one more bike, then I'll stop!" And the brain is saying "you already have two bikes and while I've got accustomed to that idea, I sure as hell won't agree to getting a third!"

I reckon within a year you would have bought a third bike! The heart gives in quickly, the brain needs a little more time to think things through.

So then, what bike do you have on your mind :smile:

And to answer your q, no you don't need a third bike. Your current two bikes current two bikes are backups of each other: if your climbing bike is faulty and you absolutely have to go on a ride, then your other bike can cope with the job just fine. And vice versa.

But, if you need a cx style bike (which can be used on road for slower more.comfortable days) then yes, you probably need one of those! Well, that's how I'm justifying things ATM.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I have 4 road bikes, and in rational terms it is utterly unjustifiable.
Yeah but in irrational terms it's completely justifiable so you're all good! Ps I have some catching up to do :smile:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've got:
A useful folder.
An expensive Di2 carbon road bike.
A decent straight bar hybrid/fast city bike.
A modern steel tourer.
A crappy old pub bike.
They are all different and all have been used this year.
I quite fancy a decent steel vintage bike sometime.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
When creating a different thread, with my 2 bikes being aimed at fast flat riding vs climbing, something dawned on me. If I had a third road bike, would I actually need it?

Don’t get me wrong, I love bikes and could spend hours just looking at loads of different ones, but in real life ownership terms is there any point?

Just wondering what you Bike Collectors think and what you tend to use yours for that you couldn’t with less bikes?
If I had the money I think I'd get a nice expensive carbon road bike, a cheaper aluminium roadie for the winter and commuting and a CX bike as well. That would do me nicely.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I sold one last year, so down to 8 at the moment

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Pointless? Maybe, but as humans we are acquisitive and we live in a consumer driven society where we are being constantly tempted by the sellers.
Do you really need all those shirts or shoes or any other of the things you tend to buy in multiples? I’m sure I could do with just two bikes which would cover all my actual needs but it’s always nice to dream.

I could make a rainbow with the number of road bikes that I have in my garage. Some of them were bought for riding, some were bought for spares and several were saved from being scrapped.
It is handy if they are similar as you can easily swap components over if you need to. It also helps with riding set up as well being able to jump from one to another without any hassle.
Several of the cycles that were either bought as spares or were about to be scrapped were a challenge. One of the cycles was being dumped as the owner said it felt heavy and sluggish, but once I replaced some components and wheels it rides really well. A couple of the other bikes that were bought for spares I started to feel sorry for once I had cleaned them up, and once ridden I discovered that they were also nice to ride and have kept them.
It does make storage a bit difficult. Pedals and handlebars can be a bit challenge to untangle at times, they always find a spoke or or cable you haven't spotted.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I love bikes.
Carbon full susser, brand new Hardtail.
Carbon road and a hybrid which i was selling but may just keep it for the odd trip locally.

Have as many bikes of whatever type you like. Ride them and enjoy them.
That’s all you need to know.

This^ Question answered in one succinct post-thread should be closed now really.

FWIW I have the following

Ridley Helium (pro-level frame, Dura-Ace mechanical, carbon wheels etc)
Ridley Icarus(ally winter/bad weather road bike)
Light Blue Robinson(steel disc braked commuter and hopefully next year an Audaxer/Tourer)
Planet X XLS (carbon CX/Gravel with Lauf forks and SRAM 1X11)
Trek and Ridgeback hacks for station commutes.

Don't 'need' all of them but they all get used and enjoyed.

N+1 still applies though^_^

Top Bottom