More Than 2 Road Bikes Pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just the one bike due to the house being for sale and not wanting excess bikes amongst other things to find places for! More than happy with my tourer it does all that I want in a bike but i realise that sooner or later i could be left without a bike if any mechanical issues arise or god forbid its stolen :sad:
TS very sensible and only wish I too could find the right bike. As they say I just hope that when I pop my clogs my wife realises their true value rather than what I told her I paid for each of them.

Bike 1 - c. 1985 Puch 3 speed roadster owned from new. Heavy & dependable, but hard work on inclines because the SA hub gearing is a bit on the high side. Mothballed.
Bike 2 - c.1994 Raleigh rigid MTB. Kept at relatives. Available to use if the mood takes me when I'm over there visiting.
Bike 3 - c.1989 Raleigh rigid MTB. Mudguards & rack. Being fitted with p*ncture resistant Schwalbes for local leisure/utility use.
Bike 4 - c.1993 Raleigh Pioneer hybrid. Reynolds frame, mudguards & rack. Also being fitted with Schwalbes. Intended as a less effort ride than the MTB's for slightly longer distances. "Best" bike, not for bashing around.
Bike 5 - c.1990's Apollo rigid MTB. Rescued out of skip. Carefree hack/pub/loan bike.
Bike 6 - c.2000's Freespirit rigid MTB. Ditto above. Duplicate of bike 5.

Total cost of my little fleet (at time of purchase) = £122. Bikes 3, 4, 5 will be the main ones used.
John you yet again prove as does this Forum that its not really about having an expensive bike but rather just getting out there on a bike and enjoying yourself.

I think I have too many as well but am loath to get rid of them as it’s difficult to find them again except for the mtb which is my least favourite ride but useful with the kids.

My winter commuter is a lovely TI tourer which is difficult to justify for commuting only but has a rack, Dynamo and guards.

I have an old steel racer, Ciocc, which is the opposite of the winter bike and has dt shifters which I love using.

I also have a carbon bike which I have used once since buying but got it because it’s a lovely burgundy. I should sell it as I don’t tend to do weekend rides nowadays (long story) but keep it because I might one day!

They do all ride very differently although I am not sure about the carbon at all!

I think you should have one of every material and era!

Top Bottom