More Than 2 Road Bikes Pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
When creating a different thread, with my 2 bikes being aimed at fast flat riding vs climbing, something dawned on me. If I had a third road bike, would I actually need it?

Don’t get me wrong, I love bikes and could spend hours just looking at loads of different ones, but in real life ownership terms is there any point?

Just wondering what you Bike Collectors think and what you tend to use yours for that you couldn’t with less bikes?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have 4 bikes. Two of which I've ridden outside just once this year I think. One (carbon road) on the turbo now. The other is a SS. I'm rather attached to both, have the space for them and don't need to free up cash

I'm close to buying #5 which I certainly don't need, it'll do nothing different to one of the two I do ride often...but it's different (Ti) and very pretty

Do you need everything you do possess? In the First World, these conundrums serve to keep life less humdrum

You could get something else like a fixed, a mountain bike, a tourer, an e-bike, a CX bike...does it need to be a typical roadbike?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have 3 road bikes that I use regularly and a hybrid which I only use to go into town with. It is a nice feeling to look at them and then decide which one to use. My favourite is my Cube Peloton. I love that bike.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Don’t mistake my question as being any sort of criticism @vickster, as I love to buy nice things. Not even asking anyone to justify it either. I am just genuinely asking the question to anyone with more than 2 road bikes. I think you just answered exactly what I was thinking, in that they only act as duplicates just because you like them. That’s absolutely cool with me. I get that side of it completely.

If I was to buy, I would consider a CX if anything.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have 3 bikes, the fixed is my winter bike, one geared bike, the Eastway, is my summer bike, the second geared bike is on the turbo.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I like to “upgrade” components, so definitely not usually one to talk rationally. :smile:

At the point that I want/need bike 3, I will definitely search for the right frame and have pleasure building from scratch.

Presently, I just like both bikes enough not to be tempted.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I have 3 bikes, the fixed is my winter bike, one geared bike, the Eastway, is my summer bike, the second geared bike is on the turbo.
I used to think a Winter bike was a good idea, but then realised I still wanted to ride either of my current 2 during the winter also. Therefore, I sold what would have been Bike 3 when the newest one came along.

Venod

Eh up
I have six bikes that have all been used in the past year.

Bike 1 road bike no guards and no room for them not usualy ridden in the wet but sometimes get caught out.
Bike 2 road bike permanent guards wet weather and winter rides.
Bike 3 road bike fixed/free currently fitted with a S.A. 2 speed hub and guards.
Bike 4 CX no guards at the moment.(my favourite)
Bike 5 MTb used mainly for MTB Orienteering comps but sometimes for a bit of fun.
Bike 6 a bargain road bike I got of ebay to keep on the turbo, its realy good enough to ride on the road.

Do I need them all, no but I can't see me selling any soon but I often think I should.

As someone who often commutes, I need 2 bikes which can carry out that role and a 3rd bike which is my lovely carbon one. Yes, I could get away with less but if one is in need of repair, having the others definitely helps!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have essentially just 3 bikes.
1, and my oldest is a hardtail MTB. Nothing else does what it does.
2 is my hybrid. It does EVERYTHING else, including long, fast road rides.
3 is my carbon road/all road bike. It does a bit of what #1 does and a lot of what #2 can do but in all honesty is a bit surplus and a bit of an indulgence.
You cannot justify more than these bikes!

hoopdriver

Guru
I have three bicycles:
An old and trusted Thorn eXp expedition tourer which doubles the winter bike; heavy but utterly reliable
A lightweight Enigma tourer; great for quick light touring
A gorgeous Pegoretti Luigino which emerges only on fine spring and summer days and which I ride for the sheer exhilarating joy at its responsiveness and the way I can fly up hills when I am aboard it.

All three are necessary! :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom