More Than 2 Road Bikes Pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Bike 1 Carbon Road Bike i use on long rides
Bike 2 Aluminium Road bike with rack i use for work
Bike 3 Old Raleigh for going out with the family , leave it anywhere type
Bike 4 Mountain bike

Can see a reason for another one

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I've just the one bike due to the house being for sale and not wanting excess bikes amongst other things to find places for! More than happy with my tourer it does all that I want in a bike but i realise that sooner or later i could be left without a bike if any mechanical issues arise or god forbid its stolen :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Bike 1 - c. 1985 Puch 3 speed roadster owned from new. Heavy & dependable, but hard work on inclines because the SA hub gearing is a bit on the high side. Mothballed.
Bike 2 - c.1994 Raleigh rigid MTB. Kept at relatives. Available to use if the mood takes me when I'm over there visiting.
Bike 3 - c.1989 Raleigh rigid MTB. Mudguards & rack. Being fitted with p*ncture resistant Schwalbes for local leisure/utility use.
Bike 4 - c.1993 Raleigh Pioneer hybrid. Reynolds frame, mudguards & rack. Also being fitted with Schwalbes. Intended as a less effort ride than the MTB's for slightly longer distances. "Best" bike, not for bashing around.
Bike 5 - c.1990's Apollo rigid MTB. Rescued out of skip. Carefree hack/pub/loan bike.
Bike 6 - c.2000's Freespirit rigid MTB. Ditto above. Duplicate of bike 5.

Total cost of my little fleet (at time of purchase) = £122. Bikes 3, 4, 5 will be the main ones used.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bike 1 - c. 1985 Puch 3 speed roadster owned from new. Heavy & dependable, but hard work on inclines because the SA hub gearing is a bit on the high side. Mothballed.
Bike 2 - c.1994 Raleigh rigid MTB. Kept at relatives. Available to use if the mood takes me when I'm over there visiting.
Bike 3 - c.1989 Raleigh rigid MTB. Mudguards & rack. Being fitted with p*ncture resistant Schwalbes for local leisure/utility use.
Bike 4 - c.1993 Raleigh Pioneer hybrid. Reynolds frame, mudguards & rack. Also being fitted with Schwalbes. Intended as a less effort ride than the MTB's for slightly longer distances. "Best" bike, not for bashing around.
Bike 5 - c.1990's Apollo rigid MTB. Rescued out of skip. Carefree hack/pub/loan bike.
Bike 6 - c.2000's Freespirit rigid MTB. Ditto above. Duplicate of bike 5.

Total cost of my little fleet (at time of purchase) = £122. Bikes 3, 4, 5 will be the main ones used.
I thought this thread was about how many bikes, not value of bikes? This kind of inverse snobbery can get a little tiresome after a while. The cost/value is kind of irrelevant provided the owner can afford it and they enjoy using it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No inverse snobbery intended, I was just mentally adding them up. There is a valid point all the same that potentially several low value machines can be more enjoyable and versatile to own than one very expensive one that the owner is really paranoid and precious about. Not even being willing to stop for a cuppa en-route for example, because the rider can't take the bike INSIDE with them, and they are s*** scared of leaving it out of their sight for even a few seconds.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have what might be considered expensive bikes by some. I'm not paranoid or precious about them. They are insured (minimal cost on home insurance) and I use a good lock if leaving anywhere out of sight for any length of time (and that includes central and outer London)

Cheap bikes get stolen too, I assume you wouldn't leave an unlocked bike unattended if out on a hundred miler in the countryside

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have what might be considered expensive bikes by some. I'm not paranoid or precious about them. They are insured (minimal cost on home insurance) and I use a good lock if leaving anywhere out of sight for any length of time (and that includes central and outer London)

I'd suggest you are in the minority in that respect. For me, the risk of losing a really expensive machine and the need to have eyes in the back of your head, seriously detracts from the fun of being able to just take a ride on a whim, even in a dodgy area. Someone recently locked an expensive 29er MTB to railings in the local High St, and the wheels, bars, saddle and forks were all robbed within 2 hours. Modern aero/carbon bikes don't appeal to me in the slightest I'm afraid, mainly on the grounds of their looks. That's a blessing as it removes the purchase temptation. Classic looking steel-framed stuff is my thing, and by their very nature, they are secondhand.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd suggest you are in the minority in that respect. For me, the risk of losing a really expensive machine and the need to have eyes in the back of your head, seriously detracts from the fun of being able to just take a ride on a whim, even in a dodgy area. Someone recently locked an expensive 29er MTB to railings in the local High St, and the wheels, bars, saddle and forks were all robbed within 2 hours. Modern aero/carbon bikes don't appeal to me in the slightest I'm afraid, mainly on the grounds of their looks. That's a blessing as it removes the purchase temptation. Classic looking steel-framed stuff is my thing, and by their very nature, they are secondhand.
I think that's where you are coming from and not liking having cheap clunkers that you don't mind losing as you claim. It's a taste thing for you

My most costly bike is a steel framed classic looking bike, albeit a newish one. It wasn't second hand ;)

Sounds like you live in a dodgy area. I've never had anything taken off a bike in my local high st :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I am more than happy if someone enjoys lots of cheaper bikes like @SkipdiverJohn or if they prefer to have less but more expensive bikes like @vickster and @I like Skol suggest. As already mentioned, I too don’t like any kind of snobbery. Nothing worse than snobbery. That’s of either variety tbh.

I have 2 bikes that are worth reasonable money. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive on here either. I really value them, and look after them like I will have them forever, but I use them in any weather without worry. Absolute no point having them otherwise.

Personally, I would spend more buying cheaper bikes in the long run.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Usually own 3 bikes.
Dahon folder for its obvious versatility.

Heavy steel tourer with panniers for utility use commuting etc

Racing bike for fun and audaxing but use the tourer for that as well.

If money was no object I would have similar bikes but probably more upmarket ie carbon instead of ally dura ace or maybe even di2.Only possibility of this involves 6 little balls with numbers on.☺

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
From my experience it does not seem to mater how much some one has paid for a bike either the owner looks after them or they dont.

Personally i look after all my bikes and yes i use an old MTB for shopping etc but would not leave it unlocked.
At the same time am not afraid to leave a better bike (as long as i have locked it) way i look at it is no point keeping a bike you can not use?

Theres a friend with an expensive bike seem to remember him telling me it cost £9000 and he leaves it unlocked when stopped at our usual coffee shop then theres myself and i wont even leave my old mtb outside asda or tesco without a lock?

Like bpsmith said (don’t like any kind of snobbery of either variety), but i have to say i really like to see a good well looked after bike, perhaps only time i feel a bit sad when i see a bike is when i see one thats been abused, frayed cables, rusty chain,worn out tyres etc.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@bpsmith to answer your question yes I think more than 2 bikes can be justified though it does depend on the type(s) of riding one does. I can’t bear the thought of disposing of my bikes and have five. I can justify three easily and possibly the fourth, the order is in terms of “need.” The year is the purchase date.

1. Cervelo C3 summer bike (2017) - self explanatory.

2. Bespoke carbon tourer (2014) I like to tour and this bike was designed for two purposes - touring obviously but also fast for club rides as my previous summer bike had become too slow for my needs. Also use this as an “autumn” bike when too wet for summer bike but no salt, crap etc. on roads.

3. Dolan Dual (2011) originally a summer bike now used in deep winter when salt, crap is around. In terms of the group I ride with the bike is slow and I work VERY hard to keep up

4. Hybrid (2016). I cant recall the brand. It’s a nice £400 hybrid a friend let me have for £75. The plan was to turn it in to my shopping bike now I’ve retired. As my wife mentioned last week this hasn’t happened yet.

5. Monoc (2004) I never ride this bike. At the time she represented a big step up in my riding. I’m too fond of this bike and the others to consider getting rid.

Could I justify more? No. Will I buy more? Probably. I’m already considering buying a specific winter bike in 2018. Something to give me the speed and climbing I need to stay easily with the group. I do find the bike makes a difference. If I had the money I would probably buy more just for the pleasure of ownership.

I maintain each bike meticulously. The Monoc and Dolan are showing signs of use, chips and scuffs but this is inevitable at 13 and 8 years old respectively. Mechanically they are very sound. The Cervelo and tourer look like new. All four are spotlessly clean and polished. Maintenance and cleaning are important to me to extend the bike’s life and performance along with showing my pride in my bikes.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've a few bicycles, mainly I'm not flipping bikes anymore, but I have a few , including a Facet Biotour 2000 and a Trek 600 from the 80's, mainly for use as well as vintage rides, and a Raleigh USA Technium CityLite I use as a tourer, also 1980's. All second hand or discarded.

Sharky

Guru
Of course, you don't need more than one bike. In my early years, I had just one bike for winter/summer, club runs, training, racing, commuting, touring etc. I was also a penniless schoolboy.
But over the years, bikes have become more and more focussed on specific disciplines, so for example a touring bike is quite different from a modern time trial bike. You can compromise, but you will be at a slight disadvantage compared with others who have the bespoke bike for the occasion.

So the answer to the question is that you need one specific bike for each discipline that you enjoy on a regular basis.

I have five road bikes, one tt bike, one fixie, two MTBs, one pub/shopping bike and one work in process 1970's road bike.

Do I "need" this many bikes, definitely not, will I be getting rid of any of them, "are you having a laugh?!" ...... Will I buy any more......well I haven't got a titanium road bike (how rude!) and, of course, when I eventually retire, I "will need" a hand made steel framed road bike. :okay:

Top Bottom