More Triban problems...

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

This bike is really starting to annoy me now. What was supposed to start out as the ideal beginners bike has turned into a nightmare. Decathlon have had to replace the wheels due to hub problems and now there's more wheel problems, my cassette spins freely in both directions and the hubs sound like they're filled with sand too!

I enjoy riding the bike but so many things are going wrong, it's unreal.

As good as the Triban is reported to be it's worth remembering that, (like virtually anything really), it's built to a price point, and frankly an incredibly low one at that.

To be able to retail the bike for the price they do is fantastic, but components such as wheels are always an area where manufacturers scrimp IME, so I shudder to think what sort of cheese the Triban wheels must be made from for the money.

I'm not knocking it, just stating the obvious really.

If it were me I'd probably push the warranty side of things as far as I could, then once I hit a wall with the warranty the wheels would be my first upgrade, followed closely by the chainset :thumbsup:

HovR

Über Member
Decent entry level Shimano wheelsets can be had for around £150, give a little for sales/offers etc. Chistmas is coming too.. :thumbsup:

I'd also echo chasing the warranty side of things, although I suspect that they may just replace them with more cheese that will break in a few months.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

As good as the Triban is reported to be it's worth remembering that, (like virtually anything really), it's built to a price point, and frankly an incredibly low one at that.

To be able to retail the bike for the price they do is fantastic, but components such as wheels are always an area where manufacturers scrimp IME, so I shudder to think what sort of cheese the Triban wheels must be made from for the money.

I'm not knocking it, just stating the obvious really.

If it were me I'd probably push the warranty side of things as far as I could, then once I hit a wall with the warranty the wheels would be my first upgrade, followed closely by the chainset :thumbsup:

The wheels are awful! I'll be getting some new ones in February so these ones will have to last me another two months, I'll give Decathlon a call anyway and see if they'll replace them - AGAIN!

gbb

Legendary Member
Decent entry level Shimano wheelsets can be had for around £150, give a little for sales/offers etc. Chistmas is coming too.. :thumbsup:

I'd also echo chasing the warranty side of things, although I suspect that they may just replace them with more cheese that will break in a few months.

Shimano R501s at Ribble, circa £85 the set (they state they will have R500 stickers but are 501s, however in the world that came to be ?)...but R500s are brilliant wheels for the money. My winter commuters had them on for three years, all weathers.
£85, you can't go wrong. I paid that for my 500s four years ago.

HovR

Über Member
Shimano R501s at Ribble, circa £85 the set (they state they will have R500 stickers but are 501s, however in the world that came to be ?)...but R500s are brilliant wheels for the money. My winter commuters had them on for three years, all weathers.

Even better! I was recalling from memory, so didn't want to quote an overly optimistic price. :smile:

Norm

IIRC, someone on here asked about buying a new set of Triban wheels and Decathlon sell them at £30 a pair.

I don't think that anything else can be said about them, as I'd consider that to be about entry point for a single hub.

potsy

Rambler
Or at CRC for £89.99, make the order up to £99 and get £15 off which means something worth £10 for free :thumbsup:

HovR

Über Member
Approx 200 on the first pair and around 700 on the second.

A little less than four club rides then?! :ohmy: Shocking really. The sales of goods act states that products should be free from defects, and fit for purpose, which these wheels definitely are not.

Top Bottom