More Triban problems...

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I bought a Triban 3 from a member of this forum, I don't know how many miles he put on it but I do recall him saying that it was well used. I've since put on over 2000 miles without any problem whatsover. I've spent twice as much on a Sirrus that was abysmal in small component quality compared, as was a Trek FX.

New wheels will be my one and only upgrade for the weight saving as it is my "fun" bike.

defy-one

My plan is to upgrade my Defy wheels this summer, move those onto the Triban :sorted

Hip Priest

Veteran
Pretty poor show mate. I ride a bargain-level road bike too (Carrera Virtuoso) at a similar price point, and I've done about 3000 miles on my wheels. Had one or two broken spokes but that's it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Little update, I bought a spoke wrench and trued my own wheels, they feel better but there's a constant clicking noise in the front hub like there's something getting thrown around inside of it at every revolution. The back wheel also stops a lot quicker than it should.

HovR

Über Member
Little update, I bought a spoke wrench and trued my own wheels, they feel better but there's a constant clicking noise in the front hub like there's something getting thrown around inside of it at every revolution. The back wheel also stops a lot quicker than it should.

Sounds like both the hubs need servicing and repacking. Unless the brake/mudguard is rubbing, then the rear wheel is most likely stopping sooner than it should as the cones are set too tight.

Radchenister

Veteran
Owned mine a week now - I have just been reminded that I had to trim the rear wheel before I'd even sat on the thing, the rear had gone seriously askew in the delivery box, maybe 5 or 6 mm out of true, the front is out a bit but not worth worrying about; thought I'd let them settle and give them some proper attention after a few weeks - luckily I was taught to trim wheels when I was young, so I didn't think much of it at the time but this is going to be a concern if you're new to it. Thinking about it further, it's not really acceptable to expect customers to have to do this on a new bike. Think I'll keep a close eye on the hub tightness as well. Hopefully the issues are manageable?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My eldest uses a BTwin Sport 1 (pre triban and cheapest of the sport range) and apart from cones needing regular attention, the wheels haven't fared too badly for such a cheap bike. Agree tho, they are the weak point of an otherwise better than the £ would suggest daily commuter.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Nor me thankfully, fingers crossed while the mileage clocks up though. Only done about 150 odd miles on it so far.

No problems with mine either. Both wheels run smooth and true.

By the way, my bike is mint having only done 6 miles so far!!! :laugh:

Not liking what I'm hearing about the wheels. Looks like there is a way out with relatively cheap upgrades.

Both of our T3's rear wheels have 'play' in them. I have done around 1250 miles on mine, my OH about 1/2 that and when the bike is in the turbo trainer there is a noticeable movement in the rear wheel laterally with accompanying knock despite the frame being firmly held. Not as bad on my OH's bike, but I am expecting to have to deal with it in the new year. Have not really investigated problem but suspect the rear hub... had to re-true both wheels on both bikes several times since purchaing (but we have 8 nasty speed bumps that have to be negiotated each way, so this is not unexpected).

More than 1,500 miles on my Decathlon cheapo wheels (my Strava mileage, I can't split out my Endomondo) and still pretty solid, coping better than the Mavic CXP22 (I think) that my Allez came with.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Pretty poor show mate. I ride a bargain-level road bike too (Carrera Virtuoso) at a similar price point, and I've done about 3000 miles on my wheels. Had one or two broken spokes but that's it.
My virtuoso rear wheels rear hub started getting as if it needed a service after maybe 7500 miles but i also had a flat spot on the rim where i hit the pot hole hard sometime so i just bought a cheap wheel from woolyhatshop.com for about £30 at the time, ame spoke pattern etc and thats done at least a year so 4000 miles or so and i regreased the bearings and its still running smooth.The front wheel is still going strong and true so i just regreased the hubs as well.
I just bought some r501`s from ribble for £70 a pair for my boardman and they seem good value for money, came out of the box and only the front wheel needs a spoke key to it and thats only a mm or so play and i plan to let them bed in first .
The cxp-22`s i took off that bike might see their way to the virtuoso eventually , i weighed the virtuoso the other day and with the panniers on but unloaded it came in at over 15 kg without lights so fully kitted out it is going on for 18 kg i reckon and the bike must have done coming on 15,000 miles so apart from a wheel , bottom bracket and a headset its only been consumbles like brake pads, chains , rear cassette etc so i am more than pleased with it .

Hip Priest

Veteran
My virtuoso rear wheels rear hub started getting as if it needed a service after maybe 7500 miles but i also had a flat spot on the rim where i hit the pot hole hard sometime so i just bought a cheap wheel from woolyhatshop.com for about £30 at the time, ame spoke pattern etc and thats done at least a year so 4000 miles or so and i regreased the bearings and its still running smooth.The front wheel is still going strong and true so i just regreased the hubs as well.
I just bought some r501`s from ribble for £70 a pair for my boardman and they seem good value for money, came out of the box and only the front wheel needs a spoke key to it and thats only a mm or so play and i plan to let them bed in first .
The cxp-22`s i took off that bike might see their way to the virtuoso eventually , i weighed the virtuoso the other day and with the panniers on but unloaded it came in at over 15 kg without lights so fully kitted out it is going on for 18 kg i reckon and the bike must have done coming on 15,000 miles so apart from a wheel , bottom bracket and a headset its only been consumbles like brake pads, chains , rear cassette etc so i am more than pleased with it .

It's a cracking budget bike mate. Glad you've road tested it for 15000 miles as it reassures me that there's plenty of life left in mine!

Top Bottom