More war against cyclists.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
It's a strange world we inhabit where : -
a) The Torygraph think this is worth paying TY for this sort of sh1t which he puts little thought and virtually no effort to ('cos it's all been written/said before)
b) That anyone pays TY for anything
c) That there are apparently people who lap this shite up

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Legomutton

It's the sort of article Boris Johnson used to write. He thinks he's being droll. I hate it. Although there's a reasonable point buried there, in what I can only rationalise as an attempt at irony, which is that there is irrational hatred from a strident minority on both 'sides'. It's also boringly London-centric - the terrorist Deliveroo riders and couriers are overdone anyway but just don;y exist in most of the country, or even most of London. 30 years ago the DT was a good paper, but they had journalists then. Now it's irrelevant to me and has been for a long time.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
If as a society we accept one group being marginalised, be they refugees, benefits claimants, disabled people, et c, than it's only a matter of time before other groups start being singled out as well.
What puzzles me is the popularity of this ‘them and us’ culture - don’t most of its proponents not realise that they are definitely not ‘us’?

What puzzles me is the popularity of this ‘them and us’ culture - don’t most of its proponents not realise that they are definitely not ‘us’?

I think we create the "us" identity first, and then decide everone else we don't like is 'them', or look for groups to make 'them'. This also explains partly why people vote for politicians that are not working in their interests: they see them as part of the same tribe.

This is the same for Populists on both left and right: both make tribes, it's just the 'them' that is different-

C R

Guru
Ahh Toby Young, the bloke too thick to get into uni so he got daddy to call in a favour from the dean for his dullard son.
Do you have a reference for that? I could do with a chuckle this morning.

bladesman73

Über Member
Just had bbc suffolk on and some coffin dodger called in saying all cyclists should pay road tax, it went completely unchallenged by the presenter. That's the type of ignorance and idiocy that infects UK society and leads to the 'them and us' culture.

C R

Guru

Johnno260

Veteran
In other words, if you're a moron to start with, then getting on a bike doesn't suddenly turn you into a rational human being.

Kind of, a moron is a moron regardless of what mode of transportation they’re using.

I have seen more douchery during the pandemic then before, from pretty much every type of road user.

Johnno260

Veteran
Just had bbc suffolk on and some coffin dodger called in saying all cyclists should pay road tax, it went completely unchallenged by the presenter. That's the type of ignorance and idiocy that infects UK society and leads to the 'them and us' culture.

when the office was open that was a weekly argument, I said EV and low emissions pay zero or very little VED why don’t you have issue with those? That I never got answered.

When the young office oik chipped in, I said road maintenance is from council tax and the main tax income, I said you don’t pay council tax as your at home still, I said I run 3 bikes 2 cars and pay council tax, and said any services I pay for or parts are all subject to VAT, and I pay council tax so according to his system I had more right to the roads, that shut him up for awhile.

Edit: they also don't get that if they want bikes legislated for with VED it will cost the tax payer with no return, as it would be classed as zero emissions, issue being as like with many things people don't think it through to conclusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom