Most cost-effective way of making your Brompton faster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Hi all,

I have now had my B (S6L since you ask) for nearly five months, commuting 3 miles each way into work most every day and I absolutely love my little machine (after I got nicer grips - Ergon GP2s suggested by some people here).

Now I am not the slowest person but I was wondering what mods to the machine there are that give most speed for the buck? (And before you say I know, the rider is probably the cheapest part to upgrade!)

So - any ideas for mods that will increase the pace for not much cash?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What do you consider not much cash?

You could swap the tyres for Kojaks, assuming you don't have Kojaks already.

One thing I've heard of but not tried myself is swapping the S stem for a shorter M stem (but keeping the S bars), which would put you in a lower down (and therefore more aerodynamic) riding position.

Tbh, I don't think either of these upgrades would make a significant difference over a three mile journey.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

What do you consider not much cash?

You could swap the tyres for Kojaks, assuming you don't have Kojaks already.

One thing I've heard of but not tried myself is swapping the S stem for a shorter M stem (but keeping the S bars), which would put you in a lower down (and therefore more aerodynamic) riding position.

Tbh, I don't think either of these upgrades would make a significant difference over a three mile journey.

You're probably right - I might be on a hiding to nothing. I have the Kojaks btw.

cheys03

Veteran
Most anything besides tyres will take too much away from the comfort and convenience of a standard bike IMO. Some further ideas:
SPD pedals and shoes.
Ensure the seat height is efficient, if your height means you are at the limit of the standard or extended post, consider telescopic etc.
Front bag with less drag - e.g. Mini O
Firm suspension block if you have the standard/soft (tiny gains!).

As above though, 3 miles - say 15 mins at 12mph? Even if you increased average speed to 15mph you're only saving 3min.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
As above though, 3 miles - say 15 mins at 12mph? Even if you increased average speed to 15mph you're only saving 3min.

Three minutes is a big difference over a 3 mile ride. It might be the difference between me catching my train or not, for example.

But I doubt you could actually make that much of a gain through changes to the bike alone.

12boy

Guru
If you have a large bag in front that will create some drag and a bag off the saddle will be in the slipstream so to speak. Xootr has a nice rack/bag combo that holds the bag far enough back so your thighs don't hit. I agree with SPDs. Also if you are geared too low you may spin out some.

Top Bottom