Most cost-effective way of making your Brompton faster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
60T chainring ... :notworthy:

429624753.jpg

Attachments

• 429624753.jpg
    429624753.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 429624753.jpg
    429624753.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
M

Melvil

60T chainring ... :notworthy:

429624753.jpg

Think you'd need legs like Chris Hoy to get that up Edinburgh hills....

Attachments

• 429624753.jpg
    429624753.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 429624753.jpg
    429624753.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 68

TrishE

Über Member
Could always sell it and get a lighter folder with decent gearing. I left the station on my folder one day the same time as a bloke on a Brompton, he eventually only caught me up when I'd stopped at traffic lights and I knew he was approaching as I could hear him rattling like eck :smile:

TrishE

Über Member
You might get lynched by the Brompton Mafia for saying that @TrishnBonnie I should keep your whereabouts secret.
Lol I like Brompton's met a lady with one yesterday she was chuffed with it but said it was heavy and difficult on hills. It looked ok shame they don't do a 20" wheel version, or even as is with good parts, I would buy one for the teeny fold :smile:

Three minutes is a big difference over a 3 mile ride. It might be the difference between me catching my train or not, for example
Yes, but in terms of the original question, the most cost effective way of saving 3 minutes journey time is to leave 3 minutes earlier.

On a 3 mile journey, a large percentage of your time will be faffing at either end. It's almost certainly possible to save minutes of time getting ready, or even getting on and off your bike. Streamlining that, or setting your alarm 5 minutes earlier will is a better option.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just reading towpath talk and saw this, electric conversion kits for Brompton :smile: View attachment 148047
That looks to be a good conversion kit,

there is a lady in Cambridge who rides a Brompton that has a motor .... it's pretty fast (especially when she accelerates from a red traffic light) .... had me confused at first, as I never saw the motor.

http://www.foldingbikes.biz/page6.html

Did you notice that my trike has a very similar kit fitted.

Top Bottom