Most cost-effective way of making your Brompton faster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TrishE

Über Member
OK, I'll bite...
What's this wonderful bike that's lighter, cheaper and faster than a Brompton, and unfolds quicker?
Bite? I've not seen anyone say that a Brompton is a better ride than a folder with 20" wheels. I got mine from robgul of the forum and he seems to have set it up to shift with the tyres on it lol. The frame is alloy so yes it's light and the fold is easy but not as small as a Brompton. I've said above that I would have a Brompton for the fold if they were improved with better parts. New price of mine was £700 new two years ago but not made anymore :smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ah, yes, I remember now.
Nice looking bike, but I'll stick with my M12R.
It would be fun to organise a CC Origami ride sometime, so we can try each other folders and such.

simongt

Guru
If you have a large bag in front that will create some drag

Yes, the front bag creates drag, but the weight actually improves the handling of a Brompton. It just takes a bit of getting used to when you turn a corner because the bag is attached to the main frame & it doesn't turn with the wheel as you would normally expect. But then that's how trade bikes were built.

cheys03

Veteran
New price of mine was £700 new two years ago but not made anymore :smile:
Unfortunately for me this is the main drawback of the Dahon range, the rate at which they introduce new models and vary the component spec such that it becomes difficult to get spares after a relatively short time. Brompton components may be odd, but they are fit for purpose and (generally) well engineered for the task. I agree with your point on 20" wheels. I'm tall and would love a bigger Brompton, where 20" wheels are used and everything else is scaled up as required. The 20" Dahons are still attractive to me, but not enough to shift me from the Brompton.

Last edited:
What do you consider not much cash?

You could swap the tyres for Kojaks, assuming you don't have Kojaks already.

One thing I've heard of but not tried myself is swapping the S stem for a shorter M stem (but keeping the S bars), which would put you in a lower down (and therefore more aerodynamic) riding position.

Tbh, I don't think either of these upgrades would make a significant difference over a three mile journey.

Beware of the stem change as it can interfere with the larger bags on the front luggage mount

TrishE

Über Member
I know very little about folders but saw a Kansi the other day.....are they any good?

Shaun
I looked on Amazon and the single speed is practically half price and 3 speed unavailable. The reviews were fair and there's a review by Evans who sold them if you Google kansi folding bike :smile:

I looked on Amazon and the single speed is practically half price and 3 speed unavailable. The reviews were fair and there's a review by Evans who sold them if you Google kansi folding bike :smile:

Kansi had a complete product recall in 2011 due to frame failure. So be careful buying second hand. It looks like the company did not survive as their website is unreachable -
http://www.kansi.co.uk

Edit : this seems to be the distributor, but I can't see the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Minimise the faffing around element of your short journey. Pick an effective route, explore short cuts and detours and learn how to ride it efficiently. Think marginal gains at evey junction and halt you have to mak. Speed of riding has a small impact on short journeys.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Could always sell it and get a lighter folder with decent gearing. I left the station on my folder one day the same time as a bloke on a Brompton, he eventually only caught me up when I'd stopped at traffic lights and I knew he was approaching as I could hear him rattling like eck :smile:
Brompton rattles are easy to cure.

Just ride somewhere loud enough to drown them out.

Kell

Veteran
Unfortunately the biggest drawback to any bike is aerodynamics. Way more than any other thing. In fact, way more than friction, rolling resitance and weight combined.

And the Brompton's short, upright riding position makes it very difficult to improve it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
True. I've never managed more than about 40 mph on a Brommie, and that was down a fairly impressive slope.
As others have said, the scope for saving time on a three mile trip is limited. My 3 mile round trip to Asda only varies by a couple of minutes no matter what I'm riding. Or driving, for that matter!

Top Bottom