Most cost-effective way of making your Brompton faster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
And the Brompton's short, upright riding position makes it very difficult to improve it.

The only way I know of is swapping for a shorter stem, as mentioned in my first reply to this thread.

Kell

Veteran
I didn't swap the stem on mine, but I started with an H type and put low risers on it.

Also pushing the seat right back on its rails as they come with them set very far forward.

I also flipped the pentaclip over as it gives an extra half cm or so.

Finally, I put bar ends on with allows me to stretch out a little further too.

Essentially though, it's fighting a losing battle.

I did run it with a C bag on for about a month and could really feel the difference in resistance.

I've gone back to my rucksack for numerous reasons, but gusty cross winds blowing onto that bag was a major factor.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Yesterday as I rode home into a 20 mph headwind with a 12""x 12" inch bag in front I could feel the difference. I had 6 books and my tool roll in the bag so it probably weighed about 8 lbs, but the weight made little difference, as going with the wind I couldn't tell it was there. I have an S type with stubby bar ends, my seat is all the way back, and I have 2 way SPD pedals. All of those help. Had I used my big shopping bag basket it would have been much worse. BTW, I live 3.5 miles from work and use a variety of routes depending on how long I have to ride and the weather. Don't like to get to work sweaty. Unless it is all uphill and/or a headwind is involved 3 miles can't take very long.

chriscross1966

Über Member
The obvious way is to pick up a bicycle trainer from Freecycle and spend an hour+ a day training on it.... The best way to make mine faster would be for me to lose a stone or two and get fit, instead of which I'm covering it in titanium and carbon fibre bits....

12boy

Guru
You might do better with resistance training to build up muscle mass in your legs, toe raises, leg extensions and squats for example. While at that you can punish your core as well. Probably run through a routine in 30 minutes including a few stretches after that would leave your legs wobbly. What fun!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Over the years I've come to realise the best performance upgrade is not giving a fying fluck how fast you're going.

reppans

Hello Noob here..

Just wanted to share an idea for drop aero position for those with M bars. I recently hacked a plastic tube about the size of paper towel core to fit in the bottom of the "U" on the M bars for an additional drop/aero hand position when cruising the smooth flats, against headwinds, and well, just to get a lower position similar to that of my other bikes. I can only fit a hand and a half in there so it takes some getting used to equally weight the bars, feel comfortable from security/stability perspective, and develop muscle memory for the unique hand position.

For me, it's been the single best speed/efficiency improvement (I have the Ergon GP2, and Alphabet Cottage half clips). I actually started using the drop position on a short-term basis with the stock bars (so anyone can try it out) - the tube hack just makes it comfortable for long-term use. Of course, you have no brakes or shifting from this position, and given the already sensitive small-wheeled steering, it may feel disconcerting and take quite a while to get comfortable with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom