Most depressing product in a supermarket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Vernon and rocky proably have that, unless they get their man servants to do it for them.

Cake mixes!

I was listening to an American podcast, and a woman told the story of the brief time she was baking cakes professionally. She made one large cake on order. She'd never made a cake without a mix, and the order was for the next day, so it wasn't the time to try a new recipe. She charged $75 and made a loss. I thought "oh yes, once you factor in your time, I bet there wasn't much profit" But I was curious. She named the exact cake mix she used, and I found it on amazon. Even buying it in bulk from amazon, it costs $39 to buy the mix for the cake, plus she needed 27 eggs and a little under a kilogram of butter, and then all the frosting and filling. The mix is just sugar, flour, leavener, salt and bunch of things you would never add to a home made cake (Vegetable Oil Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Propylene Glycol Mono- And Diesters Of Fats, Mono- And Diglycerides). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Dextrose, Modified Food Starch, Cellulose Gum, Artificial Flavors, Colored With (Yellow 5 Lake, Red 40 Lake). Seeing you have to add butter and eggs to the mix, you could replace the factory fats with a little more butter. Anyway, the cost of the same amount of flour and sugar also from amazon was less than $5.

Then again, I only don't bake cakes either, just buy them buy the slice with coffee, so I wonder if I can really judge?

tyred

Legendary Member
.........heh heh, reckon this would be a much shorter thread if titled what's to like about shopping in a supermarket?..........

Tescos do a lovely chocolate Swiss Roll:hungry:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's not on sale, but I'll nominate the supermarket trolley. Hey, let's buy more food than we can carry to the car. That way we can block up the aisles as we shop.

Tescos do a lovely chocolate Swiss Roll:hungry:
this one?

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Still depressing

Chocolate Flavoured Filling (41%), Wheat Flour, Sugar, Pasteurised Whole Egg, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Glucose Syrup, Humectants (Glycerine, Sorbitol), Palm Oil, Whey Powder (Milk),Soya Flour, Dextrose, Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Emulsifiers (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids), Acidity User (Sodium Acetate), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Acetic Acid, Flavouring, Chocolate Flavoured Filling contains: Icing Sugar, Palm Oil, Glucose Syrup, Water, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Humectants (Glycerine, Sorbitol), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Citric Acid, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids), Flavouring
(their bold)

Top Bottom