Most overrated band?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shimano

As a band T-Rex were overated but Bolan himself was good and on his way upward, learning all the time, to greater things before he inspired all those sick jokes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Has anyone mentioned Deep Purple or Black Sabbath? Noise for the sake of noise. xx(

I still have a Wishbone Ash album up in the loft :biggrin::blush::smile::blush:

got-to-get-fit

right my turn......

The Kooks

duram duran

george michael and any of that new romantics shoot

spiritualised

elton john

jean michelle jarre

pink floyd ...................................all utter smeg

To those of you who say The Beatles are overated (a fashionable POV to take nowadays).

Name me a better, more influential band who wrote better songs and more of them.

You just make yourselves look silly by trying to belittle them, I bet you also think that 'Citizen Kane' was a crap film and Sinatra was a crap singer. It gets you attention, yes

*clap, clap, clap*

but only in a similar way to the attention a window licker on a bus gets. Ultimately it only serves to show how thick you are.

As for my fave overated band?

Pink Floyd. 38 years of moaning how awful their millionaire rock god life style is.

'Piper' however is brilliant. Pity the only talented member of the group went bananas early on.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
To those of you who say The Beatles are overated (a fashionable POV to take nowadays).

Name me a better, more influential band who wrote better songs and more of them.

You just make yourselves look silly by trying to belittle them, I bet you also think that 'Citizen Kane' was a crap film and Sinatra was a crap singer. It gets you attention, yes

*clap, clap, clap*

but only in a similar way to the attention a window licker on a bus gets. Ultimately it only serves to show how thick you are.

Pink Floyd. 38 years of moaning how awful their millionaire rock god life style is.

'Piper' however is brilliant. Pity the only talented member of the group went bananas early on.

They ripped off Buddy Holly and the Crickets....even down to the name.

Ashtrayhead said:

Yeah I'm sure they ripped off Buddy Holly for all their career. His influence was unmistakable on Hard days Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road etc etc...:biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Chuffy said:
The Grateful Dead....

..but then, no-one really rates them anyway. :biggrin:

Hah! You just want a fight with Foggy.:smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Disgruntled Goat said:

*clap, clap, clap*

Here's what I posted about the Beatles on the other thread:

The Beatles who were OK to very good but ... well they just didn't rock you did they?

It's as a famous American jazz musician said (so famous I can't remember his name): "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."

I quite like some of their tunes and got their album of number ones which very, very occasionally gets a play but there are other bands to which I repeatedly come back. I would never say they were bad, not deny their influence but they just didn't really have the magic ingredient.

Andy in Sig said:
Here's what I posted about the Beatles on the other thread:

The Beatles who were OK to very good but ... well they just didn't rock you did they?

It's as a famous American jazz musician said (so famous I can't remember his name): "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."

I quite like some of their tunes and got their album of number ones which very, very occasionally gets a play but there are other bands to which I repeatedly come back. I would never say they were bad, not deny their influence but they just didn't really have the magic ingredient.

Well, if you only own a complilation CD then how can you ever make an informed opinion? Didn't rock? Didn't 'swing' No magic? Jesus H.:smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Ashtrayhead said:

Um, hardly. Buddy Holly ripped off Bo Diddley where it mattered - in terms of music. The Beatles did something rather different with the American black styles that lay at the roots of 60s popular music.

Blue

Legendary Member
Disgruntled Goat said:

You are obviously oblivious to the content of most of the PF catalogue. Only a couple of the Roger Waters dominated albums from the 73-79 period would fit the 'moaning' tag.

Syd was a talent, however, he sank like a stone as a solo artist whilst the band only became truly great after his departure.

PF needed the combination of Gilmour and Waters. Despite being a fan I have to agree that after the departure of Waters they entered the domain of the overrated.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Disgruntled Goat said:
Well, if you only own a complilation CD then how can you ever make an informed opinion? Didn't rock? Didn't 'swing' No magic? Jesus H.:smile:

I've sat through enogh Beatles albums over the years to be able to have a reasonably informed opinion of their output.

Top Bottom