Most ridiculous Hi Fi upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do you have to fill your living room with an inert gas to ensure the sound waves reach your ears unadulterated by impurities?
Only if the Band/Orchestra were playing in one, if they were playing in a normal atmosphere then you'd be fine listening in one yourself. :bravo:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
As for stupidly priced cables, some years ago I did spend some cash with Russ Andrews on one mains cable on the basis that 1. I didn't spend a silly sum (far less than 100, from recollection) and 2. it carried a money back guarantee that included dissatisfaction as a reason.
It surprised me to note that, despite all the perfectly valid scientific arguments expressed here passim, it did make a large and immediately noticeable positive difference to sound quality, so I did spend some more on more mains cables.
That said, I certainly wouldn't go to some of the extremes seen here.

I have an LP12. It's great, I did buy it in 1981 though, for a massive £340 (that was more than my student grant for the whole term).

It has had considerable money spent on it since, but I'm still probably about 15k behind the price of that
...as do I, but in 1982 for a similar sum. As @Lee_M , considerable sums have been spent over the years updating this to current spec., but again, probably not to the 18k level.

Last edited:
and it doesn't even work the brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Titanium cables from KCNC - known as "Tiwer" cables!

"Braided Ti wire with a gold nano-coating. These are very light - and have passed EN tests. Come with ball shaped nipple anodised alloy barrel or pear to fit MTB or road levers - saving a bit more weight!"
No info on s/n.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Titanium cables from KCNC - known as "Tiwer" cables!

"Braided Ti wire with a gold nano-coating. These are very light - and have passed EN tests. Come with ball shaped nipple anodised alloy barrel or pear to fit MTB or road levers - saving a bit more weight!"
No info on s/n.
That's thicker than my friends Rock Reference's platter and that weighs 22 lb !

Clearly some Hi-fi (I'm old school) enthusiasts don't give a fig about their carbon footprint.

Imagine all the energy required to spin those humungeous platters.

May a pox be upon them.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
For those convinced it can't make a difference .

I listened to Dark Side Of The Moon, an album I thought I knew inside out , on her set up and what always sounded like a slight effect on a guitar solo was a clear over dub .

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Clearly some Hi-fi (I'm old school) enthusiasts don't give a fig about their carbon footprint.

Imagine all the energy required to spin those humungeous platters.

May a pox be upon them.

You often hand start these large platters and just a small amount of energy is needed to keep them moving , on the other hand valve amps provide a nice addition to the rooms heating.

SpokeyDokey

You often hand start these large platters and just a small amount of energy is needed to keep them moving , on the other hand valve amps provide a nice addition to the rooms heating.

Every little helps!

I have just retired my mint condition Sugden A21a that doubles as a room heater - I might shove it in the attic to keep the pipes from freezing in winter.

Being disposed of soon as per its big brother Sugden Masterclass amp' that went for a a surprising sum.

I now have a cool running Cyrus amp' that shakes the walls through some Dali's and my green credentials have rocketed.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Every little helps!

I have just retired my mint condition Sugden A21a that doubles as a room heater - I might shove it in the attic to keep the pipes from freezing in winter.

Being disposed of soon as per its big brother Sugden Masterclass amp' that went for a a surprising sum.

I now have a cool running Cyrus amp' that shakes the walls through some Dali's and my green credentials have rocketed.

Some lovely kit there !

My set up is pretty basic;
Rega Planar 3 (old AC model) with an RB250 arm plus upgraded wiring and Rega phono stage, can't remember the cartridge name (it was a gift)
A cheap Musical Fidelity V90 DAC for my pc out. All into into a Creek 4040 and mission 740's.

The amp is pretty bass light compared to my old Pioneer A4OO but that went pop a good while back.

SpokeyDokey

Some lovely kit there !

My set up is pretty basic;
Rega Planar 3 (old AC model) with an RB250 arm plus upgraded wiring and Rega phono stage, can't remember the cartridge name (it was a gift)
A cheap Musical Fidelity V90 DAC for my pc out. All into into a Creek 4040 and mission 740's.

The amp is pretty bass light compared to my old Pioneer A4OO but that went pop a good while back.

Thanks.

My current kit is a lot cheaper than my older kit - at one point it all cost as much as a small car back in the late nineties/early noughties.

I spend a lot less on the front end than I used to - no turntable, CD player, tuner or NAS.

All replaced with an Arcam rPlay streamer that runs DTS Playfi. Through this I can access broadcast music and my Spotify Premium a/c - which works beautifully for me.

My current amplifier is a Cyrus One which is more than powerful enough to crank out a thumping beat through my Dali Oberon 5's - the whole lot is only about £1500 pounds worth yet the sound is stunning.

Thanks.

My current kit is a lot cheaper than my older kit - at one point it all cost as much as a small car back in the late nineties/early noughties.

I spend a lot less on the front end than I used to - no turntable, CD player, tuner or NAS.

All replaced with an Arcam rPlay streamer that runs DTS Playfi. Through this I can access broadcast music and my Spotify Premium a/c - which works beautifully for me.

My current amplifier is a Cyrus One which is more than powerful enough to crank out a thumping beat through my Dali Oberon 5's - the whole lot is only about £1500 pounds worth yet the sound is stunning.
Sounds good. Like bikes, diminishing returns the more you spend. My Rega/Naim/Dynaudio setup is all secondhand or ex-demo, I paid £1700, but £3500 new ^_^

Top Bottom