Most ridiculous Hi Fi upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've got no electrical interference on mine

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Yep but the AC power to that transformer is free from distortion/interference allowing the CD player/Amp or whatever to perform at it's optimum
No, you’ve lost me. How do they claim that works?

Do you believe in this tosh? I can’t tell if you’re in on the joke…

PapaZita

Guru
There are variations in the “quality” of AC mains power over time, as loads change, interference sources come and go, etc. However, if the power supplies in your equipment can’t cope with this, and aren’t able to provide stable consistent DC then it might be argued that they’re not fit for purpose and should be returned for a refund.

Of course, it could be that a lot of hi-if equipment is deliberately not as good as it could be, so that it will all sound different, and we’ll mistake that for better. :boxing:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are variations in the “quality” of AC mains power over time, as loads change, interference sources come and go, etc. However, if the power supplies in your equipment can’t cope with this, and aren’t able to provide stable consistent DC then it might be argued that they’re not fit for purpose and should be returned for a refund.

Of course, it could be that a lot of hi-if equipment is deliberately not as good as it could be, so that it will all sound different, and we’ll mistake that for better. :boxing:
Yep that's pretty much the attitude taken by QUAD with their amps and seems to follow with analogue sources however digital sources and for that matter digital amplifiers (class D) seem to suffer from these tiny fluctuations in the mains.

As for your 2nd point a lot of mainstream HiFi companies build equipment to a 'price point' with a 'that'll do' attitude to sound quality and longevity. I wonder how many of these 'chip driven' electronics will be working after 50 years like my beloved 303's are (with the odd bit of TLC by QUAD of course)

What if I want to listen to The Beach Boys' Good vibrations?
Don’t worry baby. God only knows

keithmac

Guru
Surely the "audiophile" will have a precision made generator that will output a perfect 240v at 50hz. Not slumming it with the other plebs on the National Grid :laugh:.

Might set my own business up!.

Hopefully all these retailers selling £3000 power cables have a proper job as well to pay the mortgage.

Yep that's pretty much the attitude taken by QUAD with their amps and seems to follow with analogue sources however digital sources and for that matter digital amplifiers (class D) seem to suffer from these tiny fluctuations in the mains.

As for your 2nd point a lot of mainstream HiFi companies build equipment to a 'price point' with a 'that'll do' attitude to sound quality and longevity. I wonder how many of these 'chip driven' electronics will be working after 50 years like my beloved 303's are (with the odd bit of TLC by QUAD of course)
Love the Quad sound ^_^ Went the Naim path 20 odd years ago, but Linn, Quad, Arcam, Rega, all were/are superb in different ways :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Love the Quad sound ^_^ Went the Naim path 20 odd years ago, but Linn, Quad, Arcam, Rega, all were/are superb in different ways :okay:
I've always found Naim a little too cold and analytical for me but then I'm not as big a fan of the QUAD 'current dumping' poweramps compared to my 303's either.

You left my 2nd favourite Amplifier company off that list too...............Sugden. 30+years ago when I split up with Pamela she asked me to help her buy a new HiFi Amp, we auditioned the Naim Nait, the (Mission) Cyrus and the Sugden A25b and the Sugden was by far the better

1624478411196.png

It's a class A - A/B design that runs class A up to about 4w then A/B up to about 35w but Pam wasn't like me and didn't really crank music up so at her volume levels it sounded lovely

I've always found Naim a little too cold and analytical for me but then I'm not as big a fan of the QUAD 'current dumping' poweramps compared to my 303's either.

You left my 2nd favourite Amplifier company off that list too...............Sugden. 30+years ago when I split up with Pamela she asked me to help her buy a new HiFi Amp, we auditioned the Naim Nait, the (Mission) Cyrus and the Sugden A25b and the Sugden was by far the better

View attachment 595440

It's a class A - A/B design that runs class A up to about 4w then A/B up to about 35w but Pam wasn't like me and didn't really crank music up so at her volume levels it sounded lovely
Aye, good call, and Audiolab? Naim stuff takes an absolute age to 'sound right'. Even turning it off for a weeks holiday and its a Binatone ^_^
Same with cables, put new Naim spkr cable on last year, harsh to start with, now spot on ^_^

Top Bottom