Most ridiculous Hi Fi upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
The website in the original post sells 13amp fuses at an eye-watering £65 a "pop".

But I've yet to see a superconducting fuse!
I think they only try it on as a way of driving web traffic to their site. I can’t believe anyone ever buys this snake oil… do they?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think they only try it on as a way of driving web traffic to their site. I can’t believe anyone ever buys this snake oil… do they?
How about if you spent £3,000 on a mains cable,

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/isotek-evo3-ascension-mains-cable-2-0m

Tenkaykev

Guru
I see that the fuse comes with a special cloth to wipe it with pre installation. I'm wondering how they deal with the interface between the ends of the fuse and the copper coated spring clamps in the plug top. The electricity would travel from the wall socket into one end of the fuse, the fuse then performs its magical transformation of the electricity only for it to be contaminated by the less than pristine copper coated fuse clamp in the plug top. I see an opportunity for a reassuringly expensive hand crafted plug top specially tuned to the UK power supply ( that's just given me pause for thought, is there a version of the fuse that is "tuned" for 60Hz? )

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I see that the fuse comes with a special cloth to wipe it with pre installation. I'm wondering how they deal with the interface between the ends of the fuse and the copper coated spring clamps in the plug top. The electricity would travel from the wall socket into one end of the fuse, the fuse then performs its magical transformation of the electricity only for it to be contaminated by the less than pristine copper coated fuse clamp in the plug top. I see an opportunity for a reassuringly expensive hand crafted plug top specially tuned to the UK power supply ( that's just given me pause for thought, is there a version of the fuse that is "tuned" for 60Hz? )
There was a fad in the 80's for people having dedicated wiring for their stereo installed using 15 amp '3 pin round' sockets and plugs with the fuse back at the distribution board, this involved gold plated sockets and plugs. :rolleyes:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Or use one of these,

View: https://youtu.be/Vt3viyCdoks

They generate a perfect 'sine wave' AC voltage

Isn't that rectified to DC in the HiFi unit?

Top Bottom