Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Unusual bike

• Gay bike (as in not kewl)

• Built-in countermeasures bike

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Which is the most thief-proof sort of bike?

1. Cheap old hack
Rationale: thief wouldn't want it, would rather nick another, couldn't sell it for much.

2. Expensive bike
Rationale: thief would not be able to get rid of it easily, would raise suspicion when trying to sell it.

3. Unusual bike
Rationale: easier to track by the police, easier to spot by owner, draws attention to buyer of stolen goods.

4. Gay bike (as in opposite to kewl)
Rationale: similar to unusual bike with added bonus that the thieving classes wouldn't be seen dead on it anyway.

5. Bike with inbuilt security measures
Example: bikes with lockable forks, Dutch bikes with lockable wheels, bikes with unusual clip-in pedals, bikes with quick release wheels and seatpost, fixies.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
6. One with a number of good locks - they will take anything !

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It could well be something like my recumbent - not only is it unusual and highly visible, it's locked properly, I'm work right near it, and also relatively few people can actually ride such a low bike.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Time and practice, probably. I'm sure all of you on here could ride a quasi low racer like mine with some time and practice on a higher bike, but most wouldn't be able to just get on and ride off going by all my skater mates that have had a go.

Not the bike I saw this morning.

A nice new shinny bike (cycle to work I suspect) with one of those lovely Kryptonite GOLD locks. All very good. That is until you see how it is locked. Through the back wheel only, which has some convenient quick release levers.

The lock itself is only locked to the cage of the bike store, which is made from very flimsy metal wire. A pair of garden sheers would probably do the trick.

Sheesh! ;)

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Oi, get back on topic. I think one of these in pink, blue or yellow should be fairly thief-proof. If nothing else you might get stopped by the police for only having one brake.

http://www.gazelle.nl/nl/product.php?idParent=2&idChild=142&idFiets=236&idSegment=35

Tynan

Veteran
a decent lock at least rules out certain classes of thief, any locl whatsoever rules out kids or passers by

where you lock it up is more important than how I'd say

Tynan said:
a decent lock at least rules out certain classes of thief, any locl whatsoever rules out kids or passers by

where you lock it up is more important than how I'd say

Yes but why spend a lot on a decent lock and then use it very poorly?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Isn't it going to depend on the neighbourhood/type of theif - in some areas they would nick anything so just down to locks and visibility, whereas maybe some theives almost go looking for certain characteristics to make the bike more appealing such as disk brakes, full suspension etc.

U

User482

There's an option missing: any bike with drop handlebars.

Top Bottom