Motor cycle barriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Just out of interest, what are your techniques for coping with motorcycle barriers?

I've almost got the hang of the squeeze style, although as my shoulders only just fit it I do have to slow down to walking pace.
safety2.jpg

The ones with two hoops of different heights (York Chicane) look like they might be possible to ride through but my pedals don't seem to fit between the two loops.

And the 'double beam barrier' again looks like it should be rideable. but I just can't get the hang of hopping the road bike through it.
411.gif

Be careful, they're not always the same width apart... I found that out.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Be careful, they're not always the same width apart... I found that out.

I agree. I can get through some slowly but others I have to stop and wiggle one handlebar through first then the other.

I wish we could come up with a good design that would work - as far as I can see these often stop the legitimate users and the motorbikes can usually scramble through some rough ground.

These are a couple that I've had problems with:
waogns.jpg

where my forks didn't fit through and then
5vamvn.jpg

where my wheel only literally fits through.

The fact that trailers and adapted bikes can't access some trails when they are the very users benefit the most from having an off road cycle facility.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I agree. I can get through some slowly but others I have to stop and wiggle one handlebar through first then the other.

I wish we could come up with a good design that would work - as far as I can see these often stop the legitimate users and the motorbikes can usually scramble through some rough ground.

These are a couple that I've had problems with:
waogns.jpg

where my forks didn't fit through and then
5vamvn.jpg

where my wheel only literally fits through.

The fact that trailers and adapted bikes can't access some trails when they are the very users benefit the most from having an off road cycle facility.

Those are the York bars.
They look (when they're slightly further apart) as though you should be able to ride through them. But I always catch one of my pedals.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have an image of a better one (didn't know that was what they were called):

mufj9l.jpg

That one I can cycle through ... luckily I don't live that near the top ones or they would drive me mad ... I usually pass that way just a couple of times a year.

I often have a problem with them with my pannier some times catching on them.

The Eighth Man

mufj9l.jpg

That one I can cycle through ... luckily I don't live that near the top ones or they would drive me mad ... I usually pass that way just a couple of times a year.

I ride my road bike through "clipped in" to add a bit of excitement to my daily commute

Just out of interest, what are your techniques for coping with motorcycle barriers?

I've almost got the hang of the squeeze style, although as my shoulders only just fit it I do have to slow down to walking pace.
safety2.jpg

The ones with two hoops of different heights (York Chicane) look like they might be possible to ride through but my pedals don't seem to fit between the two loops.

And the 'double beam barrier' again looks like it should be rideable. but I just can't get the hang of hopping the road bike through it.
411.gif

Unless im mistaken but isn't that pic on the river dee bike path at saltney ferry bridge????

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
We have a few of those outside the West Quay shopping centre, and on the road bike with a lightly loaded single pannier I can JUST slalom through. Forget it with 2 pannier bags or wide bars (over 44cm I have to move my hands on the road bike to the tops)

In fact the only thing they do is put people off cycling down the kerbed and segregated cycle path (which has fallen completely apart), so much so in fact that pedestrians just walk down it safe in the knowledge they might only see 2 cyclists at certain times.

Fiona N

Veteran
Blimey, I can't help feeling that us up north are missing out on the fun.

To my knowledge there aren't any of those sort of things around here - nothing more sophisticated that the two overlapped barriers so idiots don't rush out into the road - and some of these are high enough that the Windcheetah goes straight under (when I don't have the flag on :blush:)

May be all the motorcyclists head to the green roads instead :angry:

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Blimey, I can't help feeling that us up north are missing out on the fun.

To my knowledge there aren't any of those sort of things around here - nothing more sophisticated that the two overlapped barriers so idiots don't rush out into the road - and some of these are high enough that the Windcheetah goes straight under (when I don't have the flag on :blush:)

May be all the motorcyclists head to the green roads instead :angry:

The laughable thing is these styles rarely stop the young lads on mopeds from getting onto these paths.
They often man-handle the bikes around these styles or they simply avoid the styles altogether and get onto the path a bit further along via a broken fence or through the undergrowth.

I've actually decided that having these bikes running up and down my local paths is actually a positive thing. They help stop the path from becoming overgrown and they clear a nice 'clean' path through all the broken glass and litter.
They also create (unfortunately by vandalisim) a clear route past all the fences and styles so that bikes* don't don't need to keep stopping every 100yrds.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

mufj9l.jpg

I'm glad they're painted black in your area too. It certainly makes things a little bit more intresting if you're riding at night with just an "AA" powered flashy light. "Now where's that metal hoop in the path? " "Arrrgh, there it is....".

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The laughable thing is these styles rarely stop the young lads on mopeds from getting onto these paths.
They often man-handle the bikes around these styles or they simply avoid the styles altogether and get onto the path a bit further along via a broken fence or through the undergrowth.

I've actually decided that having these bikes running up and down my local paths is actually a positive thing. They help stop the path from becoming overgrown and they clear a nice 'clean' path through all the broken glass and litter.
They also create (unfortunately by vandalisim) a clear route past all the fences and styles so that bikes* don't don't need to keep stopping every 100yrds.

Most of the parks around here dont have them, oddly. Just a couple of daft little cyclepaths. I dont often see motorbikes of any sort but can imagine they'd just go down with a mate and lift them over in pairs. Its probably them half the time smashing bottles.

Top Bottom