Motor home parked in disabled bay for three weeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
As the population ages, the mobility issues increases. The laws and regulations needs to be re-looked at and stringent standard needs to be applied for blue badges to be issued.

I cannot be the only one who sees perfectly mobile and normal individual daintily jumping out of vehicles parked in these bays heading to the stores or the workplace. I am also fully aware of people who quickly provide a link to a news article stating that not at all disabled people show their mobility challenges openly. Does that make sense? Do we need a review? I think so.

We need to protect those who genuinely need it.

You also get blue badges when you are the carer for somebody who can't drive, so the driver may be perfectly mobile, but their passenger may not be. This is the case with my daughter, who gets a blue badge because her daughter is blind and has significant mobility issues.

And (I'm not sure I agree with this, but it is what the rules say) you can use the badge if the trip is primarily for the benefit of the holder. So, for instance, if my daughter were going to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for her daughter, she could use the badge, even if my granddaughter wasn't even in the car.

DRM

Guru
You also get blue badges when you are the carer for somebody who can't drive, so the driver may be perfectly mobile, but their passenger may not be. This is the case with my daughter, who gets a blue badge because her daughter is blind and has significant mobility issues.

And (I'm not sure I agree with this, but it is what the rules say) you can use the badge if the trip is primarily for the benefit of the holder. So, for instance, if my daughter were going to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for her daughter, she could use the badge, even if my granddaughter wasn't even in the car.
I don’t think the last statement is correct, if the badge holder isn’t being taken to, or collected from a location, then the driver (not a badge holder) cannot use the badge for an errand on behalf of the badge holder, however a driver can use the badge when collecting the badge holder, or dropping them off.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don’t think the last statement is correct, if the badge holder isn’t being taken to, or collected from a location, then the driver (not a badge holder) cannot use the badge for an errand on behalf of the badge holder, however a driver can use the badge when collecting the badge holder, or dropping them off.

... my daughter, who gets a blue badge because her daughter is blind and has significant mobility issues.
The person with the disability is not the badge holder in this case.

DRM

Guru
The person with the disability is not the badge holder in this case.

That’s incorrect, the badge holder will be Alex 321’s granddaughter, a parent doesn’t get a blue badge, it’s issued to the child, even though they aren’t able to drive, this is the case of a friend of Mrs DRM’s, the parent is the driver, the child is the blue badge holder, also a family I know had 2 cars provided through, the motability scheme, one on behalf of their child, complete with blue badge, the other on behalf of their mother, along with a blue badge, which really is abusing the system for all it’s worth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As the population ages, the mobility issues increases. The laws and regulations needs to be re-looked at and stringent standard needs to be applied for blue badges to be issued.

I cannot be the only one who sees perfectly mobile and normal individual daintily jumping out of vehicles parked in these bays heading to the stores or the workplace. I am also fully aware of people who quickly provide a link to a news article stating that not at all disabled people show their mobility challenges openly. Does that make sense? Do we need a review? I think so.

We need to protect those who genuinely need it.

I haven't mentioned this yet as I don't want some thinking this thread is a 'let's have a pop at blue badge holders', but I have to say this as it's bugging me not doing. The person in question regarding this motor home told me when I first moved in these flats 4.5 years ago that he has 'very bad arthritis in his knees due to his past manual jobs'. He does walk with either 1 or 2 elbow crutches. I've been walking with a walking stick for around a year now due to my past broken hip and leg. I started the long process of getting it fixed last January with a visit to my GP. last week I reached the consultation stage where I was told I'm now on a 6 month waiting list for a new hip. I can't wait as they say, to get back to walking, even maybe cycling after 2 long years off! My question/point is why doesn't the bloke in question get his knees fixed? Surely he hasn't been waiting to have them done the 4.5 years I've know him?! I do think that some actually 'enjoy' being disabled as it works for them. He's about 55 years old and not overweight, so I'm sure that if he tried they'd prioritise him due to being 'young' and in fairly good shape/health.🤔

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I haven't mentioned this yet as I don't want some thinking this thread is a 'let's have a pop at blue badge holders', but I have to say this as it's bugging me not doing. The person in question regarding this motor home told me when I first moved in these flats 4.5 years ago that he has 'very bad arthritis in his knees due to his past manual jobs'. He does walk with either 1 or 2 elbow crutches. I've been walking with a walking stick for around a year now due to my past broken hip and leg. I started the long process of getting it fixed last January with a visit to my GP. last week I reached the consultation stage where I was told I'm now on a 6 month waiting list for a new hip. I can't wait as they say, to get back to walking, even maybe cycling after 2 long years off! My question/point is why doesn't the bloke in question get his knees fixed? Surely he hasn't been waiting to have them done the 4.5 years I've know him?! I do think that some actually 'enjoy' being disabled as it works for them. He's about 55 years old and not overweight, so I'm sure that if he tried they'd prioritise him due to being 'young' and in fairly good shape/health.🤔

Better still, why not get his knees "fixed", but, not tell the blue badge people, win-win, new knees and keeps his blue badge ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Fair point, :okay: but how will he pull the wool over their eyes when he goes for his 3 yearly assessment? That's if they do assess them and not just hand out another 3 year badge.🤔

Not something I have done personally, so, wouldn't know, but, I am sure I could get tips from my BiL.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Anyway, his mate won't be happy when he gets back! He plays bowls in the summer and he drives to the away games. When he gets back he's gonna find that someone who occasionally parks in the disabled bay has parked in his usual spot due to not being able to park in the disabled bay. I saw him (bowls player) looking daggers at the big horrible thing the other day, but with them being 'buddies' he won't want to say anything, but I can see friendships being strained over this motor home. Plus another neighbour said to me today quote..."I have to look at that f..k..g thing everyday now"!

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

He is actually too young, silly as that sounds.

They are very reluctant to do knee replacements on anybody under the age of 55 (because of the expected lifespan of the replacement joint) - and then of course you go on a waiting list.

My wife had that issue, really needing it when she was about 50, but was 56 before they were willing to do it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's a guy i work with who needs a hip replacement. Some days he's clearly in a lot of pain with it, but the plan is to manage it with painkillers for a few decades then give him a new hip when he's old enough. He's only in his early 30s so a hip-op now would mean he'd be in a wheelchair by the time he's my age :sad:

He is actually too young, silly as that sounds.

They are very reluctant to do knee replacements on anybody under the age of 55 (because of the expected lifespan of the replacement joint) - and then of course you go on a waiting list.

My wife had that issue, really needing it when she was about 50, but was 56 before they were willing to do it.

You've reminded me Liam Gallagher (of the band Oasis) has been in the news recently as 49 he needs a double hip replacement. He's also suffering from Arthritus apparently.

Irregardless of our personal opinions of the man (idiot) I'd like to think if knee or other surgery was needed we'd get it without waiting until we're old enough.

vickster

Legendary Member
You've reminded me Liam Gallagher (of the band Oasis) has been in the news recently as 49 he needs a double hip replacement. He's also suffering from Arthritus apparently.

Irregardless of our personal opinions of the man (idiot) I'd like to think if knee or other surgery was needed we'd get it without waiting until we're old enough.

He’ll likely have no issue finding a surgeon who’ll do it privately.
Knee replacements are more tricky (and typically shorter lived) than hips given the different pressures through the two joints, hence a preference to do at a later age.

Maybe the guy with the motor home doesn’t want to have major and complex surgery if he’s still got decent quality of life and is able to function with walking aids and a blue badge.

classic33

Leg End Member
He’ll likely have no issue finding a surgeon who’ll do it privately.
Knee replacements are more tricky (and typically shorter lived) than hips given the different pressures through the two joints, hence a preference to do at a later age.

Maybe the guy with the motor home doesn’t want to have major and complex surgery if he’s still got decent quality of life and is able to function with walking aids and a blue badge.
It's the "stigma" behind hip replacements that's stopping him having it done. They're, hip replacements, are for old people only and he isn't old.

Top Bottom