Motor home parked in disabled bay for three weeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe the guy with the motor home doesn’t want to have major and complex surgery if he’s still got decent quality of life and is able to function with walking aids and a blue badge.
The surgeon told me that after my op' I'll be up and walking after a day and discharged after 2 days, like it was when they fitted that dynamic screw.

1650494689791.png

I presume it'll be the same for a knee replacement. Surely that's an easier option than limping around on elbow crutches for the rest of your life.

Edit...Just checked on wikipedia and they say knees are much harder to replace than hips.

People also ask

What is more painful knee or hip replacement?

The hip is really a much simpler joint. The knee has to balance off-center loads and move side to side. And with a total knee replacement, you are removing a lot of tissue and bone. Postoperative pain is higher with knees since the soft tissue affected by the surgery must stretch more than soft tissue around the hip.25 Oct 2011

Ok, he might be in hospital for 5 days and the recovery taking much longer, but still it's better than a life on elbow crutches.:okay:

Last edited:
He’ll likely have no issue finding a surgeon who’ll do it privately.
Knee replacements are more tricky (and typically shorter lived) than hips given the different pressures through the two joints, hence a preference to do at a later age.

I always thought hips were harder (to replace) than knees, I live and learn👍

It's the "stigma" behind hip replacements that's stopping him having it done. They're, hip replacements, are for old people only and he isn't old.

I did hear a quote from him saying the same, that he's giving in to being old if he has it done. They're (hip replacements) not just for old people though, just those of us that need it doing,

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's the "stigma" behind hip replacements that's stopping him having it done. They're, hip replacements, are for old people only and he isn't old.

I wonder why his hips have 'gone'? I always thought hips wore out due to obesity, hard physical work, mainly climbing/carrying, or serious sports like cycling and rugby...... (not golf or darts!;)) As far as I know Liam Gallagher doesn't fit into any of those categories.🤔

classic33

Leg End Member
I wonder why his hips have 'gone'? I always thought hips wore out due to obesity, hard physical work, mainly climbing/carrying, or serious sports like cycling and rugby...... (not golf or darts!;)) As far as I know Liam Gallagher doesn't fit into any of those categories.🤔
Arthritis, in Liam Gallagher's case.

Alex321

Veteran
The surgeon told me that after my op' I'll be up and walking after a day and discharged after 2 days, like it was when they fitted that dynamic screw.

View attachment 641057

I presume it'll be the same for a knee replacement. Surely that's an easier option than limping around on elbow crutches for the rest of your life.

Edit...Just checked on wikipedia and they say knees are much harder to replace than hips.

People also ask

What is more painful knee or hip replacement?

The hip is really a much simpler joint. The knee has to balance off-center loads and move side to side. And with a total knee replacement, you are removing a lot of tissue and bone. Postoperative pain is higher with knees since the soft tissue affected by the surgery must stretch more than soft tissue around the hip.25 Oct 2011

Ok, he might be in hospital for 5 days and the recovery taking much longer, but still it's better than a life on elbow crutches.:okay:

5 days if it all goes well. It doesn't always :sad:

My wife was in hospital longer than that, then it still didn't heal properly, so she had to go back for a second operation to free it up, and was in pain for months afterwards (and still is quite often, 10 years later). While cases as bad as hers are not particularly common, they aren't as rare as you might hope.

You also cannot kneel on the replaced knee, which can be difficult, and makes getting up from sitting/lying on the ground into a significant effort.

Fortunately there is quite a rigorous assessment process for getting one. it isn't infallible, there is undoubtedly some abuse of the scheme and relying on a badge when he person its issued to isn't on board, but on the whole its fine and certainly wouldn't be improved by a review from a internet cycling forum.
Why would a cycling forum do a review that calls for qualified and competent individuals? Who are asked for it or you again making false claims. These are the type of poorly informed comments that does not any add any value to the discussion.

He was vague in his reply when I asked him if it was his and what he intended to do with it. That's why I doubt(ed) he's borrowed it. Why borrow a motor home then not use it, especially over the nice weather long Easter week-end we've just had. My thoughts are that he's doing a favour for a friend who needed somewhere to dump the horrible thing. You'd think that someone who has a blue badge and knows the parking problems around here would not make the whole disabled parking bay ineffective, but that's how he is. The thing hasn't moved in 3 weeks. He's a hoarder, but he's now affecting others with his hoarding!
Sadly these are the things that blight the program.

Fair point, :okay: but how will he pull the wool over their eyes when he goes for his 3 yearly assessment? That's if they do assess them and not just hand out another 3 year badge.🤔

I thought you had a Blue badge yourself?

Alex321

Veteran
you did - have a look back at your earlier post.....

No he didn't. He said "The laws and regulations needs to be re-looked at and stringent standard needs to be applied for blue badges to be issued."
Nowhere did he suggest that should be done by people on this forum.

was this intentionally ironic?
I dobt it. He was rightly wondering why on earth you had brought this forum into it.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The OP is the kind of fodder designed to provoke silly arguments about Nothing In Particular.

Can we not do any better as a forum?

The statistics for blue badge holders are clear for all to access on the government website. Of 2,352,000 badges issued in 2021, there were 698 prosecutions for misuse (454 of those in London).

Certain of our brethren are getting their knickers in a twist about nothing.

Voltaire had some great advice for Candide and his chums, when they met the Turk sitting outside his little garden selling lovely food. Asked how did he grow such riches and what huge estate he had, the gardener told them he just got busy and got on with his own patch. He didn’t worry about what others were doing. “Tend your own garden”, he advises.

Alex321

Veteran
I don’t think the last statement is correct, if the badge holder isn’t being taken to, or collected from a location, then the driver (not a badge holder) cannot use the badge for an errand on behalf of the badge holder, however a driver can use the badge when collecting the badge holder, or dropping them off.

Yes, you are right. I was misremembering how it worked.

Top Bottom