Motorbike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Honda Deauville.

Fully faired, and complete with panniers. Shaft drive so no chain adjustment to worry about and the V-twin engine is derived from the old NVT model which had a reputation for ultra reliability.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Magnatom = Git
Beancounter = Thanks, that looks perfect.
RR = Thanks, good suggestion
Alcdrew = Git

linfordlunchbox said:
I'd look at a Honda Pan European for that sort of mileage all year round.

You are doing 90 miles a day. Not 1100 miles down to the South of France FFS.

If you have got a weedy pencil neck and can't handle a CB500 then take a look at a Honda Deauville - integrated panniers, shaftdrive, fairing.

I used to ride in and out of London on an MZ 250. Fine for a 40 mile trip, cheap as chips, no danger of it being stolen and when (not if) you fall off, it just hammers back into shape.

Ding-ding-dinggggggggg

Wish I still had it.

f

LLB

Disgruntled Goat said:
You are doing 90 miles a day. Not 1100 miles down to the South of France FFS.

If you have got a weedy pencil neck and can't handle a CB500 then take a look at a Honda Deauville - integrated panniers, shaftdrive, fairing.

As does the pan, apart from which, if you get an ex police pan, and wear high viz, people give you a nice wide berth ;)

The Pan is a much nicer experience and barely more to run than the deauville

beancounter

linfordlunchbox said:
As does the pan, apart from which, if you get an ex police pan, and wear high viz, people give you a nice wide berth ;)

I can filter quite happily on the VFR (which I would think would be useful in London) but I wouldn't be quite so happy on a Pan.

If I wanted to cross a country in a day I'd choose a Pan but not really for day to day commuting.

Just my 2p.

bc

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
beancounter said:
I can filter quite happily on the VFR (which I would think would be useful in London) but I wouldn't be quite so happy on a Pan.

If I wanted to cross a country in a day I'd choose a Pan but not really for day to day commuting.

Just my 2p.

bc

Filtering capability would be high up on my list of must haves.

Proto

Legendary Member
Paulus said:
A Honda CB 500. I get around 90 miles a gallon out of mine on commutes. They are nippy, manoeuvrable, and are quite comfy.

Is the right answer.

Proto

Legendary Member
I took a Dullville out for a day when my bike was in for a service. Pefectly capable bike, ideal for it's job, but very, very boring. Poor brakes, gutless, heavy, vibrates like mad, crap gearbox and dull, dull, dull ! Did I mention it's gutless.

CB500 can be quite a hoot.

linfordlunchbox said:

Yes I'm sure it will be great at low speed as you try to filter 283kg of bike through London traffic.

And of course even though it is almost twice as expensive as a Deauville, it will be worth it.:ohmy:

Proto said:
I took a Dullville out for a day when my bike was in for a service. Pefectly capable bike, ideal for it's job, but very, very boring. Poor brakes, gutless, heavy, vibrates like mad, crap gearbox and dull, dull, dull ! Did I mention it's gutless.

CB500 can be quite a hoot.

I agree. I have had a CB500 from new back in 1995. Done 70,000 and it's not missed a beat. But let's be practical like Linford and suggest one of these:

2587300672_dd4038d11b_o.jpg

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
I agree. I have had a CB500 from new back in 1995. Done 70,000 and it's not missed a beat. But let's be practical like Linford and suggest one of these:

2587300672_dd4038d11b_o.jpg

Now your talking! ;);)

yello

beancounter said:

Agreed. Both the Pan and the FJR are overkill for that commute.

What sort of budget? I reckon the CB500 is a good call, bung a fairing on if you want. The Yamaha XJ Diversion (divvie!), either 600 or 900, is an overlooked bike. Solid as they come, shaft drive, go for miles. Or praps a big trail bike - they offer good visibility for commuting in and through traffic; a Honda Varadero or Suzuki DL1000 are good bikes, or something smaller like the Aprillia Pegaso or Suzuki DL650 or Kawasaki's Versys (the latter 2 being pretty much the same bike!).

If it were me; I'd look at a big traillie... maybe the DL1000... but thats because I'd be looking for a change!

Top Bottom