Motorbike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
feckless said:
I used to ride in and out of London on an MZ 250. Fine for a 40 mile trip, cheap as chips, no danger of it being stolen and when (not if) you fall off, it just hammers back into shape.

Ding-ding-dinggggggggg

Wish I still had it.

f

I had one over 20 years ago perfectly suitable for 50 - 70 mile work travel (I worked all over the place then), once the original tyres were changed for something not resembling banana skins ;). I'm wondering why the suggestions for big bikes/engines* when even (some) 125cc powered learner machines are capable of exceeding well in excess of the national speed limit. Our son has just sold his Honda CBR 125R (he's gone back to pedal power) and on the few occasions that I rode it I was well impressed with the performance/handling.

* Not anything concerning penis envy I hope :tongue:.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm getting tempted to bike to work again now. If I am still teaching at the same place I might consider it. I think I would be looking at a big scooter though, Suzuki Burgman or Honda Silverwing types.

LLB

Yorkshireman said:
I had one over 20 years ago perfectly suitable for 50 - 70 mile work travel (I worked all over the place then), once the original tyres were changed for something not resembling banana skins ;). I'm wondering why the suggestions for big bikes/engines* when even (some) 125cc powered learner machines are capable of exceeding well in excess of the national speed limit. Our son has just sold his Honda CBR 125R (he's gone back to pedal power) and on the few occasions that I rode it I was well impressed with the performance/handling.

* Not anything concerning penis envy I hope :tongue:.

I'd be interested to see a 125 which could comfortably handle 25k miles per year. The problem with the smaller machines is that to match the traffic speed on the motorway, you are just wringing the bikes neck all the time which makes for a very tiring journey :ohmy:

linfordlunchbox said:
I'd be interested to see a 125 which could comfortably handle 25k miles per year. The problem with the smaller machines is that to match the traffic speed on the motorway, you are just wringing the bikes neck all the time which makes for a very tiring journey :sad:

The original enquiry was about commuting transport (40 miles each way), no motorways mentioned, and I only mentioned the 125s as an example of something smaller. I don't keep up with the m/bike world nowadays, but I don't understand the need for anything bigger than say 250/350cc if it's only for commuting - I mean they've been around long enough doing just that :angry:. Now if you want to make a bit of a 'show' as well :ohmy:... (and which particular traffic speed on a motorway would you be wanting to 'match';) :angry:

LLB

Yorkshireman said:
The original enquiry was about commuting transport (40 miles each way), no motorways mentioned, and I only mentioned the 125s as an example of something smaller. I don't keep up with the m/bike world nowadays, but I don't understand the need for anything bigger than say 250/350cc if it's only for commuting - I mean they've been around long enough doing just that :angry:. Now if you want to make a bit of a 'show' as well :ohmy:... (and which particular traffic speed on a motorway would you be wanting to 'match';) :angry:

I understood the commute to be into London. All the roads into are either motorway or dual carriageway.

I would not want to spend any commute on a bike with the HGVs and coaches overtaking me all the time because I couldn't match their speed. This is the reality of riding a bike like a Honda CG125.

Apart from the scooter types, could you list some popular 250/350 motorcycles now in production ?

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
The original enquiry was about commuting transport (40 miles each way), no motorways mentioned, and I only mentioned the 125s as an example of something smaller. I don't keep up with the m/bike world nowadays, but I don't understand the need for anything bigger than say 250/350cc if it's only for commuting - I mean they've been around long enough doing just that . Now if you want to make a bit of a 'show' as well ... (and which particular traffic speed on a motorway would you be wanting to 'match'

linfordlunchbox said:
I understood the commute to be into London. All the roads into are either motorway or dual carriageway.

I would not want to spend any commute on a bike with the HGVs and coaches overtaking me all the time because I couldn't match their speed. This is the reality of riding a bike like a Honda CG125.

Apart from the scooter types, could you list some popular 250/350 motorcycles now in production ?

So all the roads into London are either dual/motorway (it's a good few years since I drove 'down there') and of course the traffic is all going at 70mph (or more) and free flowing, so there's no point in thinking that a m/bike (of any size) would possible have the advantage of being able to 'wend' it's way through slower traffic?
I know from personal experience that a CBR 124R will happily cruise all day at 60mph (how fast are those HGVs going?)
As I said
I don't keep up with the m/bike world nowadays
. I'm genuinely interested (if out of date;)).
Around the Lincoln area there are lots of cyclists (pedal variety) including me, low powered (50cc) scooter/m/bikes (restricted to a speed of 30mph) and the occasional equestrian riding along dual carriageways, A + B roads 'mixing' it with other vehicles (some of which are doing a bit more than 70mph at times :angry: ... Keeps one focused :angry:.

beancounter

domtyler said:
Yorky, forget it! No way I'll be riding a little tiddler I'm afraid, why would I want to subject myself to that when I can buy a bike with a decent engine instead and not have to worry about running out of speed or power?

In fact I have just got back from George Whites up the road from work and the guy there was trying to sell me one of these:

http://www.georgewhite.co.uk/?category=33&mode=overview&product_id=57730

Opinions?

Sliced white bread.

bc

Fairynuff mate :angry: ... The add says it all, and I'm sure presses all the buttons :ohmy:

PS
Don't fall off ... Skin/bones heal/mend. Paint/bent/broken bike-parts have to be repaired/replaced ... ££££s :angry: :sad:

LLB

Yorkshireman said:
So all the roads into London are either dual/motorway (it's a good few years since I drove 'down there') and of course the traffic is all going at 70mph (or more) and free flowing, so there's no point in thinking that a m/bike (of any size) would possible have the advantage of being able to 'wend' it's way through slower traffic?
I know from personal experience that a CBR 124R will happily cruise all day at 60mph (how fast are those HGVs going?)
As I said . I'm genuinely interested (if out of date;)).
Around the Lincoln area there are lots of cyclists (pedal variety) including me, low powered (50cc) scooter/m/bikes (restricted to a speed of 30mph) and the occasional equestrian riding along dual carriageways, A + B roads 'mixing' it with other vehicles (some of which are doing a bit more than 70mph at times :angry: ... Keeps one focused :angry:.

Average speed on the M40 is between 70 & 80 (including the coaches) & the M25 junction is daunting if you have a very small footprint and the traffic is overtaking you on both sides because you can't match it, it is a recipe for disaster, and TBH the traffic density and speed can be very intimidating :ohmy:

It is nothing to do with showing off, and everything to do with safety.

yello

Gary Askwith said:
recommend (if you can find a decent one) a Honda NTV 650

Good call! I was trying to remember the couriers fave when I typed up my post a few pages back. Yep, NTV650... bullet proof. Can't go wrong. As abused by the nations (well, London's!) couriers. Wouldn't buy one off of a courier though!

Fazer, yes, if you must. Never really liked them myself but they are popular enough. And popular for a reason; they're a decent enough bike. I've not ridden the newer one (i.e. post underseat exhausts, 2004??) but I'm led to believe the earlier ones where a smoother and more responsive ride, something to do with the midrange being remapped (or some such). The newer one only really comes alive in the top end of the rev range, the older one would pull from just about anywhere.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
domtyler said:
Yorky, forget it! No way I'll be riding a little tiddler I'm afraid, why would I want to subject myself to that when I can buy a bike with a decent engine instead and not have to worry about running out of speed or power?

In fact I have just got back from George Whites up the road from work and the guy there was trying to sell me one of these:

http://www.georgewhite.co.uk/?category=33&mode=overview&product_id=57730

Opinions?

Brilliant bikes. Bit bland looking but a very lively engine :biggrin:

If you like the look of it they really are good bikes.

Sorry, I couldn't be arsed to read all the arguements which seem to be coming up about cc but you don't want anything small for regular fast road commuting. 400cc would be a minimum, 600 better.

linfordlunchbox said:
Average speed on the M40 is between 70 & 80 (including the coaches) & the M25 junction is daunting if you have a very small footprint and the traffic is overtaking you on both sides because you can't match it, it is a recipe for disaster, and TBH the traffic density and speed can be very intimidating :sad:

It is nothing to do with showing off, and everything to do with safety.

I'll take your word about the M40/M25 (though are you being a bit 'selective' with your example?:biggrin:) Er, where does the showing off and safety bit come from? :biggrin:.

Top Bottom