Motorbike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Disgruntled Goat said:
I agree. I have had a CB500 from new back in 1995. Done 70,000 and it's not missed a beat. But let's be practical like Linford and suggest one of these:

2587300672_dd4038d11b_o.jpg

Oh great, another useless invention - a trike :ohmy:

All the disadvantages of a car on a commute in the urban environment, and all the disadvantages of a bike in bad weather as well ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
unusually, i'm with linford on this one.

yello

linfordlunchbox said:
All the disadvantages of a car on a commute in the urban environment, and all the disadvantages of a bike in bad weather as well

Whilst I personally would agree and doubt I'd ever buy one, I have to admit that I don't 'get' trikes so have to file them in the category of 'not for me but'. There are loads of things in that category btw!

I know some bikers take to trikes because of disabilities or health reasons.

And

Fun sponge
dan_bo said:
Old beemer twin pot

......another vote from me. Bomb proof engine, dirt cheap to service (do it yourself), vast spares network (new and 'used'), built in leg protectors, economical, shaft drive, remarkable buid quality, cheap to insure and if you get the RS or RT the fairings have remarkable weather protection.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
All depends what you want out of the bike IMO.

As said above, a CB500 or XJ600 will be perfect (thats what they're made for after all) but if it was me I'd be looking at the VFR800. Or, more probably, a CBR600. That'll do everything you want it to reliablly, cheaply and in comfort and you can have some fun on it too although you obviously can on the VFR as well.

I ride an XJ600 which does the job but that is quite a beefy commute you've got so a VFR would probably be the best choice.

Ah, Bikes, off to browse bike trader again :becool:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
Anothr CB 500 vote here. Boring choice perhaps, but it' nippy and tight enough for suburban commuting, reasonably priced and holds its value well, and very reliable.
Must admit, I had one for a few years once and it was the most reliable bike I ever owned. I had a couple of 300 mile trips on it and it was very comfortable and would cruise at motorway speeds all day long. They have done a half faired version for a while now as well.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would agree with the honda CB500 or you could try the suzuki gs500. Both basic bikes, economical to run and easier to get parts for.

Proto

Legendary Member
You might care to have a go on an earlyish Yamaha Fazer 600. Meant to be a pretty decent bike, comes with a half fairing too. Bit livelier than the CB500, just a bit more sporting. Fairly cheap.

Be wary of running costs. My son has been commuting total 50 miles a day on a Honda Hornet. Thousand miles a month, plus his weeekend stuff. So that's at least three back tyres a year @ £130 ish each. Plus two fronts @ £80ish. Plus three services, averaging out at £150 each. Next service is 16000 miles so it's a valve check - budget £250 at a main dealer. Plus the thing drinks fuel at a silly rate, and has a hopelessly small tank range. Brilliant bike though. But just not for commuting.

LLB

Rhythm Thief said:
My brother's just bought one of those. It's an ex police bike and has all the fairings and panniers. Needless to say, I want to get my motorbike licence now, but I think I'd go down the BMW R80 route cos I like how they look.

And he did it with good reason. They can do the mega mileage and are very comfortable. BMWs can also, but are not as sharp or easy to handle. My mate had an R80 and we swapped a few times out on ride so he could ride my ZX6R, He then sold the R80 and bought a ZX6R for the road, and another identical bike for the track.

I felt that the R80s handling wasn't up to much, and the performance was poor given the engine size TBH.

As a first bike, I'd suggest an SV650 as the handle very well, are very light and are cheap to run.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Hmmm, seems to be a general consensus on the CB500 for a first timer (well since my early twenties and the RD125LC days anyway ;)). A magazine I've just bought has said to consider a GSXR600 for a commuter though as it is very light and manoeuvrable around town.

LLB

domtyler said:
Hmmm, seems to be a general consensus on the CB500 for a first timer (well since my early twenties and the RD125LC days anyway ;)). A magazine I've just bought has said to consider a GSXR600 for a commuter though as it is very light and manoeuvrable around town.

Light and manouverable yes, but sports bikes put your upper body weight on the hands unless you are doing at least 40mph. Better for something with flat bars if town commuting is its primary job.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Since this is the cafe I will ignore my spats with dom and linf over in politics...;) and recommend (if you can find a decent one) a Honda NTV 650
I've use one every day for work (-too far to cycle) for the last 4 years and for the intended job it is superb.... v twin engine tuned for torque and grunt not top-end, it is fairly bloody quick off the line... instant grunt, very comfy, does about 55mpg and above all has a shaft drive which after years of peeing on with chains on my old honda benly/GS500E commuters is a blessed relief
They have something of a cult bike reputation among london couriers for being just about indestructable
The handling is long and slow but very stable-it is surprisingly rewarding enough for a country road long-way home from work ride :tongue:

LLB

Gary Askwith said:
Since this is the cafe I will ignore my spats with dom and linf over in politics...;) and recommend (if you can find a decent one) a Honda NTV 650
I've use one every day for work (-too far to cycle) for the last 4 years and for the intended job it is superb.... v twin engine tuned for torque and grunt not top-end, it is fairly bloody quick off the line... instant grunt, very comfy, does about 55mpg and above all has a shaft drive which after years of peeing on with chains on my old honda benly/GS500E commuters is a blessed relief
They have something of a cult bike reputation among london couriers for being just about indestructable
The handling is long and slow but very stable-it is surprisingly rewarding enough for a country road long-way home from work ride :tongue:

Good choice and similar to the SV650 albeit a bit heavier/older

Top Bottom