Motorcycles in bus lanes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh yes you have. Just because I haven't commented on Spinny's stats you think I support them.

I didn't say that, I said you support him, that has nothing to do with the stats. It has everything to do with human nature.

LLB

I think it is only fair that you understand the lie of the land Catrike

I support a balanced view on all modes of transport.

Spindrift on the other hand is just unbalanced ;)

LLB

Oh right.

FWIW, I don't know spinny. I know his posting on here. Sometimes I choose to comment, sometimes I don't. As with everyone else.

I picked up on your motorcycle deaths stats because they were brought up a couple of weeks ago on here, and they hadn't been thought through then either.

It's nothing personal.

pinocchio.PNG

LLB

User said:
Sorry Ian, but as a supposed cycling enthusiast, you're not coming over very well. Your posts appear antagonistic towards cyclists. Perhaps not the best stance in your line of business...

How many cyclists use more than one mode of transport ?

I think you will find those who cycle only to be in the minority on here as is the case on motorbike sites, but on car sites, many just seem to use the car and that is it.

This is where the balance comes into it.

A singular view

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Ok, ok enough of the antagonism, back to the original theme. As a cyclist of over 40 years and a motorcyclist of 31 years I have no axe to grind with letting motorbikes into bus lanes. Indeed, some bus lanes already let them in. The bus lane down the Finchley Road does allow, whereas the Holloway Road does not. Some sort of common use policy would be of great benefit i believe to the traffic problems in London. cyclists and motorcyclists share a common problem, i have no problem sharing a bus lane with motorbikes.

User said:
Sorry Ian, but as a supposed cycling enthusiast, you're not coming over very well. Your posts appear antagonistic towards cyclists. Perhaps not the best stance in your line of business... as a recumbent trike rider I know where I won't be looking for a new trike.

That's no problem, you were unable to read my post for what it was which is fine, as for your little dig there, well, your a bit sad. Have a good one.

Paulus said:
Ok, ok enough of the antagonism, back to the original theme. As a cyclist of over 40 years and a motorcyclist of 31 years I have no axe to grind with letting motorbikes into bus lanes. Indeed, some bus lanes already let them in. The bus lane down the Finchley Road does allow, whereas the Holloway Road does not. Some sort of common use policy would be of great benefit i believe to the traffic problems in London. cyclists and motorcyclists share a common problem, i have no problem sharing a bus lane with motorbikes.

I think there is a problem with mixing the two types of road user, motorcycles accelerate much quicker than, travel faster than and have a greater mass than cycles. Busses and cycles travel at similar speeds to each other with very often the cycle having the edge. I think motorcycles will be a danger to cyclists in this environment and their will be a lot of conflict between cyclists and motorcycles as a result of the shared use with motorcyclists assuming they have greater rights.

At the end of the day the only road users that contribute to both congestion and pollution reduction are cyclists, cyclists should be gaining more rights with regards to facilities and not having those rights encroached upon.

LLB

Catrike UK said:
I think there is a problem with mixing the two types of road user, motorcycles accelerate much quicker than, travel faster than and have a greater mass than cycles. Busses and cycles travel at similar speeds to each other with very often the cycle having the edge. I think motorcycles will be a danger to cyclists in this environment and their will be a lot of conflict between cyclists and motorcycles as a result of the shared use with motorcyclists assuming they have greater rights.

At the end of the day the only road users that contribute to both congestion and pollution reduction are cyclists, cyclists should be gaining more rights with regards to facilities and not having those rights encroached upon.

Not everyone is in the position to cycle 30+ miles a day. This is where PTWs come into their own in the London area as many drivers would be happy to commute with m/cycles but are unable to do the same due to the distance with a cycle every day. If the risks to them were reduced by allowing Bus lane access, it would without doubt help to get more cars off the roads on those routes.
If you really want to reduce very polluting vehicles, get rid of the Bendy Buses :angry:

linfordlunchbox said:
Not everyone is in the position to cycle 30+ miles a day. This is where PTWs come into their own in the London area as many drivers would be happy to commute with m/cycles but are unable to do the same due to the distance with a cycle every day if the risks to them were reduced. Bus lane use allows this to happen with less risk.
If you really want to reduce very polluting vehicles, get rid of the Bendy Buses :angry:

They should introduce park and cycle schemes in the burbs, people drive part way, get free parking and jump on the cycle they have with them or is locked up at the scheme and cycle the rest of way. Easy as pie.

Oh right.

FWIW, I don't know spinny. I know his posting on here. Sometimes I choose to comment, sometimes I don't. As with everyone else.

I picked up on your motorcycle deaths stats because they were brought up a couple of weeks ago on here, and they hadn't been thought through then either.

It's nothing personal.

I don't take anything personal on the web although if I find a dog turd posted through the letterbox of the workshop I'll kick your head in. :angry:

spindrift

catrike I posted clear evidence that despite their relative scarcity PTW's hurt and kill cyclists out of proportion.

You posted ROSPA stats that don't even mention PTWs.

I know what I would choose to believe.

Top Bottom