Motoring Fads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
What does that mean?

It means the Maxi is not as long as the other car mentioned.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Before the electric stick-on rear screen demisters there were the double-glazed plastic stick-on ones.

D

Deleted member 1258

Manual chokes weren't exactly a fad though were they?
I thought they were needed - at the time.
I well remember my Dad's Viva and the system I was supposed to use to get it started.
Never quite knew if I'd come out of the cinema to find it wouldn't start.
Supposedly you risked "flooding the engine", whatever that was, if you overdid it in your desperation to get home.

Flooded, too much fuel mixture in the engine, often accompanied by wet plugs. Those days I was motor bike mounted and I remember with some small two strokes you tickled the Carburetor to richen the mixture to start it, a little button on the top of the Carburetors that the rider pushed repeatedly to put more fuel in the Carburetor, I always carried a plug spanner in case I got it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't think I imagined/dreamed this.
I seem to remember that when I was very young, sometime in the 60s, there was a brief fashion for putting stickers on your car (usually the rear window I think) that made it look as if you had bullet holes in it.
Suppose it was supposed to make it look as if you had an exciting life in your underpowered runabout, running roadblocks or something.

yes I remember, I think something to do with one of the Bond films.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can see the suction-pads, the heating element, and the wires for electrical connection (via a switch). Now imagine that you couldn't quite afford the latest deluxe-model car (the one with a built-in heater).

D

Deleted member 1258

You can see the suction-pads, the heating element, and the wires for electrical connection (via a switch). Now imagine that you couldn't quite afford the latest deluxe-model car (the one with a built-in heater).

Thank you,I see now, I'd spotted the suction cups, but I didn't make the connection with the heating element, it looks like a zip.

Gunk

Guru
Flooded, too much fuel mixture in the engine, often accompanied by wet plugs. Those days I was motor bike mounted and I remember with some small two strokes you tickled the Carburetor to richen the mixture to start it, a little button on the top of the Carburetors that the rider pushed repeatedly to put more fuel in the Carburetor, I always carried a plug spanner in case I got it wrong.

I’ve got a manual choke on my 1993 Honda Fireblade, it’s reassuringly analogue

Top Bottom