Motorists in advanced stop zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A friend of mine asked me last week what the regulations regarding ASL's were ... as she pointed out they didn't exist when she took her test - I'd not really thought about the fact that some motorists weren't sure what to do with them before that.

Its bad though if the police can't make up their minds about the legality of it!

I have to say that its probably the same as RLJ'ing in that we (cyclists) mention cars infringing them quite a bit but actually when you start to look properly most motorists do obey them but its the significant minority that sticks out in your mind.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think the 'wasn't part of my test' and having the rather daft PC Aveling quoted as gospel on other articles on ASLs are feeble distractions. It is most definitely an offence in the very obvious cases we go through. The police don't enforce them because in many situations it's just not worth it. As cycling takes off in more cities and ASLs are slowly getting built as junctions come up for a face lift in the future there will need to be a bit of enforcement at key locations. Locally we had a few people get very excited about the issue and do surveys, personally I think it is a waste of time enforcing those particular ones, that is not to say that it won't change in the future, it probably will.

This only goes to reinforce what's been said time and time again - there's no point to them really.

We had discussions about the legality of cyclists entering the ASL. Apparently that's illegal too, if the cyclist would have to cross the stop line at red. Except when the cyclist goes up a feeder lane which is not traversed by the solid stop line. But all too often (and certainly on the one ASL on my commute) this feeder lane is on the left, putting the cyclist at risk of a left-hook.

I've stopped even giving it a second glance if I see a car in the ASL...

The only problem with these boxes is it could be argued they can encourage some cyclists to pass cars on the left, rather than just taking the primary, staying back and waiting in the queue behind the other cars. I saw one cyclist once do precisely this and almost get run over by a car turning left. The lights changed whilst he was passing the cars but instead of slowing and keeping back, he instead tried to pass the car in front which was about to turn left.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On the other hand, Riverman, they allow the vast majority of sensible cyclists to get to the head of the queue in a safe way, and control the speed of traffic off the line. Come to London one day and see what happens when you have (a) lots of cyclists, and (B) assertive cyclists.

I've seen cars and buses in advanced stop lines before, but I didn't really care because I always wait in the queue. I only use an advanced stop line if I am at the front of the queue. It is quite rare that I even see cyclists in them, so I really don't blame the drivers for ignoring them. But I am in Rotherham, where cycling doesn't seem to be as common as in places like London. I don't know what the situation is like in Sheffield though. It is probably different to Rotherham, as I often see lots of cyclists in Sheffield.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I live in the sticks, but whenever I go to town, if I get to a red light and there's an ASL with a vehicle in it, I ride to the front, pull across the front and stop. You would not believe how long it takes me to get pedalling again :thumbsup:

On the other hand, Riverman, they allow the vast majority of sensible cyclists to get to the head of the queue in a safe way, and control the speed of traffic off the line. Come to London one day and see what happens when you have (a) lots of cyclists, and (
cool.gif
assertive cyclists.

I have one exactly like this..... but I know the light sequence, so if the vehicles in the road parallel are stationary then I am fine to filter to the ASL, at the lights will not change and traffic is stationary. If this line stops moving then a change in lights is imminent - stop and pull into the traffic lane

Number14

Guru
I think the 'wasn't part of my test' and having the rather daft PC Aveling quoted as gospel on other articles on ASLs are feeble distractions. It is most definitely an offence in the very obvious cases we go through. The police don't enforce them because in many situations it's just not worth it. As cycling takes off in more cities and ASLs are slowly getting built as junctions come up for a face lift in the future there will need to be a bit of enforcement at key locations. Locally we had a few people get very excited about the issue and do surveys, personally I think it is a waste of time enforcing those particular ones, that is not to say that it won't change in the future, it probably will.

Three points and up to £1000 fine - not worth it? Maybe it should be three points and a minimum of £1000 fine to make it worth their time.

I live in the sticks, but whenever I go to town, if I get to a red light and there's an ASL with a vehicle in it, I ride to the front, pull across the front and stop. You would not believe how long it takes me to get pedalling again :thumbsup:
Being suddenly diverted by a long-ish 'phone call' at that moment, is a good dodge. After all we all know you shouldn't use a mobile phone whilst on the move...:rolleyes:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Three points and up to £1000 fine - not worth it? Maybe it should be three points and a minimum of £1000 fine to make it worth their time.

ASLs only tend to get put in when a junction is up for renewal. It'll be a couple of decades before ASLs are at routinely useful places for cyclists outside London and a few choice other places. They just aren't in enough places and enough key places for it to be particular worthwhile for the police to enforce them. That'll change in the future but that day hasn't come yet. It'd be far more worthwhile enforcing bus gates that cyclists use or clamping down on mobile phone use by drivers.

gbs

Guru
Being suddenly diverted by a long-ish 'phone call' at that moment, is a good dodge. After all we all know you shouldn't use a mobile phone whilst on the move...:rolleyes:

I am not at all sure that aggravating the errant motorist is smart. You will have made yr point perhaps but if he/she is enraged the consequences may not be amusing for some other fellow

I am not at all sure that aggravating the errant motorist is smart. You will have made yr point perhaps but if he/she is enraged the consequences may not be amusing for some other fellow
I'd meant to insert the 'devil' smiley, but couldn't find it. Ah! This one: :evil: . Sorry, was being a bit flippant, I've never actually done this...

Jezston

Über Member
I don't understand why one might think that the confusions over feeder lanes makes them pointless. We just need legal 'clarification' stating cyclists may cross those lines to enter the asz.

I also agree they need enforcement, I'm getting sick of the awful and useless taxi drivers of Nottingham thinking they are for them, and bullying cyclists out of them!

Top Bottom