Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
The last race Russell benefitted from a tow from Lewis during qualifying. His experience with the poor handling Williams cars may have helped him to adjust better to the new car than Lewis who liked his cars to handle his way .
This in spades. Russell has spent three years trying to get the best out of terrible cars at the back of the field. He is used to having to fight with the car to get it to work whereas Lewis has got used to the car working the way he wants it to as the Merc designers build it to suit him.

Luck has played a big part as has Lewis taking on most of the experimental setups whilst George has had the more tried and tested ones.

D

Deleted member 26715

Lewis taking on most of the experimental setups whilst George has had the more tried and tested ones.

Not heard about this?

I'm not taking anything away from Hamilton, but Russell has done a better job this year so far, luck or no luck on either side, the points don't lie.

Now whether the last race of the season last year was still playing on his mind & then being dropped into a terrible car, compared with Russell being given an opportunity of a lifetime that he have worked so hard for, raised his motivational levels.

Is Hamilton better than Russell, probably yes, does Russell have the raw talent that Hamilton had at 24, yes I think he does, we've not really seen them race each other, it's not been in the team interest to let them, Yet!

icowden

Veteran
Not heard about this?
It was in a statement from Toto after the first 8 or 9 races:

https://www.racefans.net/2022/06/11...sell-is-due-to-set-up-experiments-says-wolff/

Hamilton again got the worst experimental set up in Canada
https://uk.motor1.com/news/592962/hamilton-canada-f1-setup-experiments-disaster/

and then

Jun.28 - Lewis Hamilton wants to hand the mantle of experimental car setups to teammate George Russell ahead of the British pair's home race this weekend.
The seven time world champion called his Mercedes "undriveable" in Montreal practice recently but ultimately raced to the podium by Sunday.
The problem on Friday appeared to be radical experimentation with car setup, as the reigning constructors' champions try desperately to find a way around 'porpoising'.
"Maybe George can do the experiments in the second half of the season," Hamilton said.
The indication is that Lewis was taking the chances / risks of experimental setups to push the envelope in the hope of getting a better drive, whilst George was taking the more tried and tested / less risky set up and this has worked out well for him.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I was just reading about some new ideas that they are thinking of bringing in for F1.
It seems like they want to mess it up .
The way it is at the moment I am beginning to go off it . There is no opposition to Red Bull . The championship has been sewn up and the only bits of interest now seem to be when the FIA or Ferrari cock things up .
I wish they would put more historic car racing on as that is becoming more interesting .

There is a few historical streamed on Youtube

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Last year Red Bull were on par with Mercedes otherwise the championship wouldn't have ended on the final race ? To change the rules in such a way to create one powerful team isn't creating an even playing field .
One team's dominance can depend on drivers , both opposition and team drivers . Lewis and Verstappen are equally matched . Perez is nowhere near as good as Verstappen neither is Russell against Lewis . In previous years Lewis Hamilton had the likes of Alonso , Button and Rosberg as team members to fight against yet alone other drivers in a race . At present Verstappen hardly has any opposition .

I'll quibble the point of Russel being nowhere near as good as Hamilton , guess which one is ahead on points?
This is the first year in the same car so the only time they can be measured properly.

D

Deleted member 26715

Latiffi to leave Williams at the end of the year, Albon already confirmed, does this leave the door open for Ricciardo as Red Bull are trying to nab DeVries, will Ricciardo have to wait until that merry-go-around until he gets to find out?

D

Deleted member 1258

Latiffi to leave Williams at the end of the year, Albon already confirmed, does this leave the door open for Ricciardo as Red Bull are trying to nab DeVries, will Ricciardo have to wait until that merry-go-around until he gets to find out?

The question is, will Riccardo want to go to Williams?

D

Deleted member 26715

Last I heard was Riccardo to Alpine or Riccardo to become the Mercedes reserve.

Aaaah, the joy of the Silly Season... :crazy:

Alpine have set their sights on Gasly I think, which makes sense a French team (ignore UK based) with 2x French drivers.

I think he could be good for Williams, as long as his & Albon's style are the same, so they only have to build one car.

Or he needs to get out completely & go Endurance racing or even BTCC, although F1 drivers don't seem to have done very well in BTCC in the past although I'm sure @Reynard has better memory than I to prove me wrong

Top Bottom