Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Or he needs to get out completely & go Endurance racing or even BTCC, although F1 drivers don't seem to have done very well in BTCC in the past although I'm sure @Reynard has better memory than I to prove me wrong

The majority who have crossed over from F1 to BTCC have struggled over the years, even Derek Warwick, my main man - although there were valid reasons for that. Derek is a stock car, F3 and sportscar world champion (twice WSC runner-up too), so not a shabby driver by any means. It is hard to quantify though, because the F1 drivers who did end up in Touring Cars weren't always out of the top drawer.

Gabriele Tarquini did win the 94 BTCC for Alfa, and I recall Nicola Larini having a lot of success in Europe, but David Brabham was middling, Mark Blundell struggled, so did Jonathan Palmer. And Mansell kept on crashing... It's a very different style of racing requiring a rather unique and specialized skillset.

There has been a recent history of drivers crossing to and from F1 via DTM, but the DTM these days is a very different beast compared to the BTCC anyways. IIRC the DTM is now for GT-spec cars.

And tbh, I'm not really sure any of the current BTCC teams could actually *afford* someone like Daniel Riccardo. He'd definitely draw in the crowds, but the days of the Supertouring-sized budgets are long gone.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Other common routes are WEC, Formula E and IndyCar. Mark Webber did OK in WEC (when he wasn’t try to fly it) and there are a few ex-F1 in FE, although they tend to be rejects rather than experienced hires.

D

Deleted member 26715

IndyCar would be a good call, I think the Yanks would love him, but only if he won, whatever he does he needs to be successful or whatever that monkey that's climbed on his back the last couple of years will have won.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Oh yes, good call! Or what about that big engine single seater thing that was being trumpeted before Covid hit. I remember watching a race with Felipe Massa in it...

That'll be their attempt at reviving F5000 in a modern style. Haven't heard anything on that this year at all and I think it only had about 10 entrants last year with some reliability problems.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
That'll be their attempt at reviving F5000 in a modern style. Haven't heard anything on that this year at all and I think it only had about 10 entrants last year with some reliability problems.

Yes, that's the one.

And it all started so well, but haven't seen or heard anything about it in a while. It's a good premise and would work if it's done right, but sounds like so many other series that have fallen by the wayside.

I went to Castle Combe Autumn Classics today.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMGP2084.JPG
    IMGP2084.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP2179.JPG
    IMGP2179.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP2078.JPG
    IMGP2078.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP1951.JPG
    IMGP1951.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP2012.JPG
    IMGP2012.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP2002.JPG
    IMGP2002.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
500cc Formula 3. Single cylinder motorcycle engines, some running on methanol.

Edited to add: the number 99 car is running on methanol as you can see the small orange disc on the side as an indication to the marshals in case of fire

That was my thought as soon as I saw them. Typically mid to late 1950s, maybe into the early 60s at a pinch - the era when Formula 1 was only running 1.5 litre engines.

F3 went up to 1 litre capacity shortly after, before adopting the 2000cc engines with an air restrictor in the mid-ish 1970s.

Top Bottom