Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Eh, I think it's what in the BTCC is pretty well much a racing incident i.e. both of them knew what they were doing. It's not Matt's fault that Colin couldn't hang onto the slide.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Didnt cause any issue for the others behind. Probably more to do with the left foot braking he does.

Ummm, left foot braking is pretty well much de rigueur in racing driver circles.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm watching tomorrow on catch up, I'll stay away from this thread.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Wheeeeee!!! Almost a rabbit out of the hat there.

But :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: to Lewis.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
This was a race where Lewis really showed his true class - he had no right to make those tyres last that long, and yet he did.

Any other driver on the current grid would likely have ended up in the scenery, and this is what sets Lewis above them by some margin. Chapeau that man - and then some.

This was a race where Lewis really showed his true class - he had no right to make those tyres last that long, and yet he did.

Any other driver on the current grid would likely have ended up in the scenery, and this is what sets Lewis above them by some margin. Chapeau that man - and then some.
You could see what that took out of him, incredible drive.

Drago

Legendary Member
The media are going nuts. They've missed the minor, but crucial, point that Hamilton won't become world champion until he gets to the end of the season, and he has to do so without being disqualified from the championship. Unlikely to be an issue, but Schumacher managed such a disqualification in 1997 :laugh:

Either way, he has no class. He's a surly sulker, a tax avoider, who seems incapable of opening his mouth without putting his foot in it.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The media are going nuts. They've missed the minor, but crucial, point that Hamilton won't become world champion until he gets to the end of the season, and he has to do so without being disqualified from the championship. Unlikely to be an issue, but Schumacher managed such a disqualification in 1997 :laugh:

The difference between Schumacher and Hamilton:

Jerez was the last race of the season. In order to win the title for himself Michael *had* to ensure that Villeneuve didn't finish. So he tried pulling the same move on Villeneuve that he did to Hill in Adelaide in 1994 - also the last race of the season. So Schumacher had history there. Plus the FIA under Max Moseley was a very different beast back then.

In Abu Dhabi in 2016, Lewis had to win the race, with Nico some way back. His solution? To back up the pack and hope that someone else either overtook Nico or took him out. Ultimately it didn't quite work, but you have to give the guy the kudos for trying.

Schumacher was like Senna - totally ruthless and rather insensitive. Incidentally, Senna also has a track record for taking other drivers out in attempting to win the world title. Suzuka '89 springs to mind.

Hamilton is more like Prost - uses his brain more rather than trying to take out someone.

Either way, he has no class. He's a surly sulker, a tax avoider, who seems incapable of opening his mouth without putting his foot in it.

No racing driver is perfect - I've been involved in motorsport for twenty something years, both on the engineering and media side of things, and a fan of the sport for far longer than that. Most of not all drivers I got to know (and date) are surly sulkers when things aren't going their way. And in the heat of the moment, things can be said without thinking of the consequences. That's just racing drivers for you. At the end of the day, they're human, just like you or I.

But that's an extremely harsh judgement on someone you don't know.

Top Bottom