Mountain bike peddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going to pop my M520 peddles back on the road bike tomorrow now I am more confident on the bike I think its time to give them another go.
I have been reading though that for any sort of distance they cause hot spots due to the small surface area. Would that be right ? and would I be better off getting a proper set of road bike peddles and shoes if i intend to go any sort of distance

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Many people do long rides on these. It will be up to you to see how they feel over a long distance.

OP
OP
captainhastings
Thank you for the replies I will see how they go. I did try them briefly last year but now I am cycling more I plan too give them a better chance.
Bit hard too enjoy the ride when I am constantly worrying about going belly up if I have to stop suddenly and they seem so small that pulling away is a fiddle but I guess it is all practice.

G-Zero

Über Member
I switched my 'tiny' Scott SPDs over to a set of Shimano DX SPDs years ago, because I occasionally cycled with the kids around campsites on holiday and couldn't always be bothered to get kitted up, preferring to ride with my trainers or flipflops on :becool:

I think they were originally intended for BMX use, but I've come to rely on them over the years and find them a lot more comfortable over longer rides when clipped in, as the cage still provides support around more of the foot. I also find them more forgiving when trying to get quick starts on steeper uphill stuff, as there's a bigger area to aim for.

G-Zero

Über Member
Oops - Pic didn't attach

Attachments

• PDM636.gif
    PDM636.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
captainhastings
Ah just did a search for Shimano DX SPD and I see what hlab meant about a cage as well now. That makes sense and much better footing to get going with out being clipped in initially and they would work with my existing shoes.
I see the Shimano A520 Spd Touring Pedals are a bit cheaper I might be able too swing that with the wife

Thanks for the pic g-zero it all becomes clear now :smile:

some thing like this maybe
http://www.halfords....yId_165566#dtab
no local stock typical

just bought these http://www.wiggle.co...424-spd-pedals/ I will feel much happier being able unclip on the approach to a stop and still have some control at least to start with

I've got them on my utility bike, I've not done prolonged individual distances but for pulling off in traffic and not always having to worry about clipping in they are superb :thumbsup: They were originally on my sirrus and probably did see distance of 60-80 miles and I can't remember any problems.

OP
OP
captainhastings
Well chuffed with the new peddles makes this clip less lark much more bearable pleasure too use. If any thing a bit too comfy very easy too forget about :smile:

On other news picked up a second hand bike today the plan is too use for nipping too the shop and too town. I would never feel happy leaving my defy 2 on it's own any where. Hardly a two grand carbon job but it is still my pride and joy. So I now have this

Marin Stinson - Hybrid 700c rigid
Strong versatile bike with steel frame + hybrid 700c
Quite old but in good nick and recently serviced and has a black burn rack which I assume is good just need some bags now.
5964984696_fe6e0cc149.jpg

£75 quid well spent I reckon :smile:

Top Bottom