Mountain Bike to Road: What to expect? - O and Hi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

He means loner.

Tynan

Veteran
ordering a new bike in the next few weeks, wanted a road bike last time around but bike shop man steered me to a hybrid, said it was better for year round commuting in London, wider tyres, more upright position, quicker brakes etc

I'll admit I got on with it very well

Still thinking racer, going quicker for less effort has to be a winner and I'm tired of road bikes gliding past me

is it a no brainer?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I reckon if you have a road bike itch, you'll have to scratch it one way or another ;) I bought an elderly 10 speed drop bar tourer to see whether I'd get on with the drop bars, narrow tyres etc - I love it, although my average speeds &c are nothing to write home about, I'm pretty sure they're quicker than on my hybrid.

If you're worried about riding position & narrow tyres, maybe a modern tourer (like the Edinburgh Bike Co-Op's "Country Traveller") is the way to go.

yenrod

Usually if I'm in a group ride I'm the one who lets on to the loner'...though a few others may it depends on the effort - chainy and the likes...

alecstilleyedye said:
on a practical note, what is the ettiquete regarding nodding etc when coming across a club run coming the other way? does one nod to every rider, every third, or just the first one?

and who from the peloton gets to nod at the loaner?[/QUOTE]

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
is the loner such because they're way in front, or way behind, the rest?

I understood the loner to be the single cyclist, who is puzzling over which if the oncoming peleton to nod at...

alecstilleyedye said:
on a practical note, what is the ettiquete regarding nodding etc when coming across a club run coming the other way? does one nod to every rider, every third, or just the first one?

and who from the peloton gets to nod at the loaner?

I give a generic wave to the whole group if they're bunched up.

cyclebum

I must say with respect to roadies acknowledging mtbers, with very few exceptions I always find them very friendly, even those coming up behind and flying past! In fact it is more likely to be the mtbers who ignore me. When I first went out on the road I was pleasantly surprised at the camorardery between cyclists though sometimes I found it difficult to acknowledge too much as I was too busy just trying too breathe!!;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I always nod/wave at fellow cyclists, even those on MTB's who I flash past as they are struggling along. I also greet others at traffic lights/junctions and try to say a good morning or afternoon. Some look at me as if im strange. Perhaps I am;)

bonj2

cyclebum said:
I must say with respect to roadies acknowledging mtbers, with very few exceptions I always find them very friendly, even those coming up behind and flying past! In fact it is more likely to be the mtbers who ignore me. When I first went out on the road I was pleasantly surprised at the camorardery between cyclists though sometimes I found it difficult to acknowledge too much as I was too busy just trying too breathe!!;)

No offence but you must have a relatively shite MTB then. The friendliness of roadies can be explained by the fact that they are sure they're superior to you, rather than just thinking they should be but aren't quite sure - therefore are more confident of themselves, and the unfriendliness of fellow MTBers would be explained by the fact that they think you aren't a 'serious' MTBer.

Gary D

bonj said:
No offence but you must have a relatively shite MTB then. The friendliness of roadies can be explained by the fact that they are sure they're superior to you, rather than just thinking they should be but aren't quite sure - therefore are more confident of themselves, and the unfriendliness of fellow MTBers would be explained by the fact that they think you aren't a 'serious' MTBer.

bonj,
I joined this forum pretty much as soon as it started but generally lurk. However, I now feel compelled to post.
Over the past couple of weeks, I had started to develop a modicum of sympathy for you as some of your postings put forward relatively sane and sensible arguments. I could not fully understand the underlying scorn that some posters clearly had for you - as I too am relatively new to both cycling and forums, and am unaware of the "history" behind these feelings.

However, after reading your repsonse to cyclebum's posting above, I can honestly say that in a millisecond, it all suddenly became clear to me :smile::laugh:!

You are clearly an incredibly shallow, insecure person if you judge someone purely on the bike they happen to be riding. For a start, everyone has to start somewhere. Do I take it that if I happened to see you when out on my £800 road bike you might nod to me? But then the next day, if I was riding my £300 CB Hybrid, you would simply ignore me because you viewed it as "shite"?

The comments that you make are totally unnecessary and extremely negative. They definitely do not reflect the general attitude of the cyclists I have come across since taking up the sport.

You really can't seem to comprehend that the very attitude you claim is unique to roadies relating to bike snobbery - and then go on to criticise them for - is exactly the same attitude you have exhibited in your reply above!! ;):evil:

Please tell me - why does there have to be a distinction between "roadies" and MTB'ers?? Surely we are all CYCLISTS?

You clearly deserve ALL of the criticism you seem to attract.

Rant over. ;):evil:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Don't get to upset Gary D, Bonj is one of the posters who can't resist winding others up with his cutting comments. In another life in C+ he was the same.We got used to him and his ways. most just leave him alone to get on with whatever he is doing.;)

Top Bottom