Mountain Bike to Road: What to expect? - O and Hi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, im Will 21, from Hampshire,
Browsing google as you do, and found this forum.

Thinking about getting a road bike (Dont worry, I wont ask the dreaded question of help), but first I would like to know any changes I can expect from riding a mountain bike for 10 years (, 80% of the time on the road anyway but its what ive grown up with (Biggest ever ride = 23 miles in 3 hours, very hilly areas)) and then trying out a road bike.

I wouldnt want to join a club yet, but I am also looking for similar aged people to ride with around my area of East Hampshire (nr Petersfield) as everyone I know has moved away to Uni. I know its a long shot but, hey.

Im also into Tennis, badminton, swimming, racing (of the karting variety), wrestling, fitness and about any other thing.

Well im going to search many posts in this forum now, bye : - )

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It will immediately feel faster, but twitchier and a little unstable to begin with. Once you find your feet and gain confidence, which won't take that long, you will be riding greater distances at higher speeds for less effort. It's like going from a tractor to a Ferrari.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think you'll also enjoy being on the road more, whereas on a mountainbike it always seems like a chore that has to be done to get to, or join up bits of off road.

Road riding is also a much more efficient way of using any given time availble for training as you are 'doing it for real' as soon as you leave your house. It does also give you access to road cycling clubs where (if you find the right bunch) the atmosphere, camaraderie and ethos can be quite motivating.

Even if your heart remains in mtb riding, you will be a far better mtb rider after a load of road training.

expect to be scared.

i found the higher frame and skinny tyres felt all wrong at first, but it only took a few miles to get used to them and a couple of hours to feel comfortable and trust them.

then there's the gears - the first hill you'll hit you'll be looking down at the back block and wondering where they all went to and how did you get to be in the lowest so soon. the natural mountain bike tendency to stay seated will have to be wrestled from your brain and you will soon learn to stand on harder climbs.

soon you'll wonder why people ride mountain bikes.
good luck and welcome.

L

yenrod

Road riding is serious = feel like banging your head against a brick wall for 80mls: no sweat get on a Road Bike.

Though upon getting back on the MTB you'l feel like your riding a setter/couch around ! :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
one of the things i found was.... remembering where the brakes were! nearly rode straight into the car park barrier at work because i forgot ha ha.

also, trusting skinny tyres. it will seem weird at first, especially going round corners, kept expecting them to slide out, but you will soon get used to trusting them.

o yea.... and you go really really fast compared to a mountain bike.

bonj2

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I think you will suddenly start saying hello to other cyclists and stopping at red lights;):biggrin::biggrin:

he is, of course, joking. Roadies never say hello to anybody. I saw about 12 when I was out on a ride yesterday and not one gave me a nod or a smile. One bloke on a hybrid did (he was however wearing baggy shorts), and another fellow mtber said a cheery hello when I was having a rest. But all I got from roadies was sneers. What really dismays me is when they don't even bother to pretend not to have seen you, they just sneer. In a sort of "I don't like you, 'cos your MTB looks more expensive than my roadie, and I'm the one that's supposed to look good dressed up like a dog's dinner in my poncey tights and coloured shoes and top - it's the only reason I go out on this bike and you've ruined it for me now."
I'll tell you who else is a bunch of miserable sods - joggers. Get sneers from them aswell, and when I was giving way to one on a path yesterday I heard him chunnering under his breath 'make up your mind!' when it was him who couldn't decide which side of me to go!

Cee Jay

Hi Will, I was in a similar position to you a few months ago. As previous posters have noted the main thing when changing to a road-bike is just the feeling of speed is greatly enhanced - those miles just fly by!
The gears do take some getting used to but I found that those skinny tyres compensate for the smaller gearing - climbing has, if anything, got easier.
Also the thrill of a new bike has really fired my enthusiasm for getting in longer rides - no more dragging myself out of bed, eating, dragging the bike round the same old route. Now I can't wait to get out!
You may also get the urge to dress in colourful lycra and start taking an interest in the Missus' Ladyshave... :biggrin:

Enjoy!

yenrod

Dam you've found me out ! :biggrin:

Seriously though soo funny observation this Bonj....

I started off an MTBer but now mostly a roady yet nver been able to understand why this happensihappens...

bonj said:
he is, of course, joking. Roadies never say hello to anybody. I saw about 12 when I was out on a ride yesterday and not one gave me a nod or a smile. One bloke on a hybrid did (he was however wearing baggy shorts), and another fellow mtber said a cheery hello when I was having a rest. But all I got from roadies was sneers. What really dismays me is when they don't even bother to pretend not to have seen you, they just sneer. In a sort of "I don't like you, 'cos your MTB looks more expensive than my roadie, and I'm the one that's supposed to look good dressed up like a dog's dinner in my poncey tights and coloured shoes and top - it's the only reason I go out on this bike and you've ruined it for me now."
I'll tell you who else is a bunch of miserable sods - joggers. Get sneers from them aswell, and when I was giving way to one on a path yesterday I heard him chunnering under his breath 'make up your mind!' when it was him who couldn't decide which side of me to go!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
on a practical note, what is the ettiquete regarding nodding etc when coming across a club run coming the other way? does one nod to every rider, every third, or just the first one?

and who from the peloton gets to nod at the loaner?

Top Bottom