Mounting system for rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This derailleur should work right as long as I get this derailleur adapter right?

Also the rear derailleur supports 8 and 9 speed freewheel so will it work with a 6 speed freewheel?
You should be able to attach the derailleur with that but it's a bit of a bodge.

Regarding 6 speed compatibility you need to think about chain width and cable pull. It may work, but you'd need to be prepared for problems. I don't know.

As others have said, if you need to replace your Tourney derailleur, the best thing would be another Tourney derailleur. Which costs less than £20. No uncertainty about whether or not it would work.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes and no.

The mount will work, but it is unlikely that you can get an 8/9 speed derailleur to work well with a 6 speed freewheel. Why not use one of the 6 speed dérailleurs suggested upthread?

ETA, ain't my autocomple posh, it even puts the accents in the rite place :laugh:
You might not get it to index but I don't see a problem using it 'friction', I had a 105 10 speed on the back of my Raleigh Equipe until I re-purposed the bike into a light tourer and fitted an Ultegra HT 2 triple and long cage Ultegra rear mech (both 10 speed) I had in my shed intended for my Mercian build that never happened. Rear wheel is a classic Maillard hub (wide flange) with a 6 speed freewheel. BTW I'd got hold of a pair of these hubs, cleaned and rebuilt em and adjusted them to perfection with new ball bearings. John who built em into wheels told me they were some of the best hubs he'd ever come across, buttery smooth.

C R

Guru
You might not get it to index but I don't see a problem using it 'friction', I had a 105 10 speed on the back of my Raleigh Equipe until I re-purposed the bike into a light tourer and fitted an Ultegra HT 2 triple and long cage Ultegra rear mech (both 10 speed) I had in my shed intended for my Mercian build that never happened. Rear wheel is a classic Maillard hub (wide flange) with a 6 speed freewheel. BTW I'd got hold of a pair of these hubs, cleaned and rebuilt em and adjusted them to perfection with new ball bearings. John who built em into wheels told me they were some of the best hubs he'd ever come across, buttery smooth.
I don't think the op has a friction system, I think he has some kind of grip shifter, those may be sloppy enough to work, but I wouldn't bet on it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't think the op has a friction system, I think he has some kind of grip shifter, those may be sloppy enough to work, but I wouldn't bet on it.
They'd be the first thing in the bin for me, nice set of old shimano 'top' levers that are index/friction switchable would be my choice.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
B

Biker2772

I don't have grip shifters. I have these.

Attachments

• 20210701_162927.jpg
    20210701_162927.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom