Move Wider for Rider-Boot stickers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't get where the 1.5m thing has come from. It's not realistic on many roads, and no motorist is going to sit behind a cyclist riding @12mph for miles just because they've only got 3 feet of clearance. A bit of realism & common sense is required here. How close is safe depends on how fast the vehicle which is passing you is going. I'm not bothered about 2ft passes at low urban traffic speeds, it's the ones doing 40 or 50 mph on main roads which create wind turbulence that cause the problem.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't get where the 1.5m thing has come from. It's not realistic on many roads, and no motorist is going to sit behind a cyclist riding @12mph for miles just because they've only got 3 feet of clearance. A bit of realism & common sense is required here. How close is safe depends on how fast the vehicle which is passing you is going. I'm not bothered about 2ft passes at low urban traffic speeds, it's the ones doing 40 or 50 mph on main roads which create wind turbulence that cause the problem.
Couldn't agree more, it came from Oz I think where the roads are mooosive so easy to give 1.5M but some still didn't. There was a thread on here a while ago where I argued in vain that it wasn't feasible in the UK, it would be nice, but not feasible, what about a car coming towards you, on some of the roads I ride you can't get 1.5M clearance even if I rode in the gutter, but as long as they slow down I have no issue.

classic33

Leg End Member
Couldn't agree more, it came from Oz I think where the roads are mooosive so easy to give 1.5M but some still didn't. There was a thread on here a while ago where I argued in vain that it wasn't feasible in the UK, it would be nice, but not feasible, what about a car coming towards you, on some of the roads I ride you can't get 1.5M clearance even if I rode in the gutter, but as long as they slow down I have no issue.
Thing is, if you were in a car whilst being passed, the vehicle passing would have to move away from the edge of the road just to pass. Or even wait until there was room to pass.

On a bicycle on the road, you're place is in the gutter. Therefore you don't matter.

D

Deleted member 26715

Thing is, if you were in a car whilst being passed, the vehicle passing would have to move away from the edge of the road just to pass. Or even wait until there was room to pass.

On a bicycle on the road, you're place is in the gutter. Therefore you don't matter.
Yes I fully understand that, but also how will cycle lanes work?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Following on from/Inspired by the Australian one...
View attachment 456587

I've had the "Give Cyclists Room" enlarged to three foot, then used two cycling through Manchester.

If the one in the pdf were printed, what'd be the cost, and how big an uptake?
Not sure which one you mean, but I hate the "share the road" ever since having a motorist bawling at me to "share the road" because I dared take primary/control position in "his" lane on the approach to a crossing island.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You say realism, I say defeatism. Let's ask for 5ft and we might get 2 or 3. If we ask for 2ft, we'll only get 6 inches, yet again, while the driver and the following one swear blind it was 2ft.

And yes, on small roads, they'll have to sit behind awhile. Not for miles. Just until there's a safe passing place.

D

Deleted member 26715

You're not interested in what I think & you're thread hi-jacking so I'll not answer

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I believe in Ireland the distances between bike and overtaking car is promoted to leave 1 metre on <40mph roads and 1.5 metres on >40mph roads.

There is an interesting programme on Irish TV channel RTE1 called 'Now You See Me' about increasing cycling infrastructure, provision, safety and increasing active travel across all demographics in Ireland, which is where I got the above from (if I'm remembering correctly, apologies if not).

Top Bottom