MTB to gravel bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

There's loads of info out there on doing this as a project (converting a hardtail mtb into a gravel bike) but I wanted a couple of quick answers to a starter question.

My club have decided to start a gravel bike section, as there are a number of keen gravel riders already, and it's something I'm pondering trying out. I'm a roadie really, any off-road jaunts I fancy are done on my old (2005) Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB. It's a budget/basic bike but it suits my needs. I was thinking that to ride gravel with the club, I could just stick more appropriate tyres on it. I figured that'd be a starting point. Would that be a fair assessment? Would I be missing out on anything essential for the gavel bike 'experience'?

I appreciate other changes could be made but that at some point you cross a line where it'd make more sense to actually buy a gravel bike. I don't propose to go that far though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think you've summed it up. I assume your old MTB is a rigid frame/forks?

Not sure you even need to change tyres, why would you?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Not sure you even need to change tyres, why would you?

I assumed I might benefit on the road sections. Dunno, not being a gravel bike rider, I can't honestly say.

My MTB has suspension front forks but they can be locked out. Again, I know I could change them but that's yet another thing. Tbh, I'm not really sure I'm going to be bitten by gravel, I've so far seen no urges in that direction. I'm a roadie at heart but as the club are starting this new section, I thought I'd give it a go.

Jody

Stubborn git
Serious question.

Why do you need curly handlebars and skinnier tyres to ride with the gravel set?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just ride with your MTB. If you are struggling to keep up, you could always fit some lighter faster tyres - e.g. Rocket Rons.

We met some gnarly gravel dudes at the weekend. Kinesis frames seemed to be very popular - but there was a Marin MTB. Riding 1x with narrow flat bars - probs for the aero benefits there - but if it were me - I'd have put bar ends on.
He had this huuuge sprocket on - I think a 52 ? No idea what he needed that for !

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_115040.jpg
    IMG_20230129_115040.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Y

yello

Just ride with your MTB. If you are struggling to keep up, you could always fit some lighter faster tyres - e.g. Rocket Rons.

Yes, I think I might just give that a go. It's the simplest 1st option.

Picking up on another point (@cougie uk ) I do have some bar ends sitting around that I could use, just to try out. OR, my misses has a Trek 7100 hybrid that I could equally try, after adjustment obviously, with maybe a tyre change. Options options eh ;)

figbat

Slippery scientist
It depends a lot on where your gravel chapter will actually ride. In the UK we don't really have a lot of true 'gravel' - the sort of unpaved highways that stretch for miles across the US and inspired the gravel movement. In truth, I ride my gravel bike over the much of same terrain as I ride my MTBs - the main difference will be the offroad:ohmy:nroad ratio of a route and the ultimate technicality. And my gravel bike is a converted MTB anyway - I have ridden it on gravel sportives at which it has proved its worth - and attracted a lot of attention too.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It depends a lot on where your gravel chapter will actually ride
That's a top point and one I have pondered. There just isn't that much gravel around here anyway (unless the local dept have just resurfaced a road, and then there's shoot loads of the stuff... but that's another story) Most of the non-road tracks around here are pretty much service roads (if I can call them that) for farmers; stoney/gravelly in places but invariably clay/mud in winter. The same tracks favoured by ramblers and dog walkers, and used by me on my MTB when I fancy it. There's certainly not mile-after-mile of gravel track. No, gravel rides around here will inevitably incorporate much, if not more, surfaced roads as they link up sections of off-road. I'm not selling it well am I?

my gravel bike is a converted MTB anyway
What changes did you make, out of interest?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We met some gnarly gravel dudes at the weekend. Kinesis frames seemed to be very popular - but there was a Marin MTB. Riding 1x with narrow flat bars - probs for the aero benefits there - but if it were me - I'd have put bar ends on.
He had this huuuge sprocket on - I think a 52 ? No idea what he needed that for !

It's a thing now, come over from 1x MTB. Don't go looking at cassette prices. :whistle:

Top Bottom