MTB's without front derailleur, When/Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatjel

Veteran
My MTB has 1 x10 36 And 11/36 works fine for me
For some years I rarely if ever use the big ring on my road bike. Ok I can’t do more than 20 mph ish but I’m not sure that’s entirely due to gearing

GuyBoden

Guru
1x can have a 32T-50T gear that is 0.64

3x can have a 24T-38T gear that is 0.63

The chainline on the triple, in this same gear, will probably be more efficient and a much more cheaper cassette.:tongue:

1x can have a 32T-50T gear that is 0.64

3x can have a 24T-38T gear that is 0.63

The chainline on the triple, in this same gear, will probably be more efficient and a much more cheaper cassette.:tongue:

But the triple needs a triple chainset, front mech, front shifter. All extra weight and money.

I've not got a 1x as yet but I can see the advantages. And no messing around by having to drop down a chainring and then change gears on the cassette too in order to get the next gear down.

GuyBoden

Guru
But the triple needs a triple chainset, front mech, front shifter. All extra weight and money.

I've not got a 1x as yet but I can see the advantages. And no messing around by having to drop down a chainring and then change gears on the cassette too in order to get the next gear down.
I like the 1x concept too, but my main problem is the long term cassette replacement costs.:tongue:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have two bikes with doubles and one with a triple.

An advantage I see with a 1x geartrain is its simplicity for beginners and casual cyclists. Not everyone enjoys having a Bank Holiday conversation about cross-chaining and chainlines!

I'm very keen to encourage more people to get out on a bike and anything that simplifies that is good with me!

GuyBoden

Guru
I have two bikes with doubles and one with a triple.

An advantage I see with a 1x geartrain is its simplicity for beginners and casual cyclists. Not everyone enjoys having a Bank Holiday conversation about cross-chaining and chainlines!

I'm very keen to encourage more people to get out on a bike and anything that simplifies that is good with me!
This thread is called "mtbs-without-front-derailleur-when-why", so a discussion on the various factors, was and is inevitable.:okay:

I probably need to look at my ratios to see how many unique gears I actually have on my 22 speed bike.

I get that there might be more gaps in between the gears on a 1x but I got used to riding fixed so I should be able to cope.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've got 2 1x12 bikes, Kona Dr Dew hybrid and a carbon Rockrider MTB and enjoy them and have always had good, sweet gear changes on them. Still prefer a compact double for the road bikes though.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I like the 1x concept too, but my main problem is the long term cassette replacement costs.:tongue:

Whilst it's undeniable that the replacement cassette costs are eye watering, they do go an inordinately long time between needing replacement. People often erroneously think that 1x drive trains wear out more quickly, when in fact the opposite is true. One test was ran by Zero Friction Cycling and their results are mentioned in this article:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the...ity-and-efficiency-tested/#8-9-10-11-12-speed

"It seems that with each gear added, durability has improved. And at least for Shimano chains, 10-speed saw a significant jump in durability from 9- and 8-speed, and Shimano’s latest 12-speed XTR mountain bike chain rules the roost as Shimano’s most durable offering."

The chainline on the triple, in this same gear, will probably be more efficient.

Again whilst indeed true, studies have shown that in the extreme ends of the cassette, there are only efficiency losses off around 2 - 3 watts over a 2x or 3x set up. Maybe significant for a pro athlete, but for me it's insignificant.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

I added up the weight between my 9 speed triple and a mates 1X. The difference in weight was neither here nor there, within 150g for everything. As for money the replacement parts for 1X 11 speed or 1X 12 speed costs appreciably more than the components for a 9 speed triple. I can replace a full set of 9 speed chain rings, cassette, the chain, the cables inners and outers etc and still have change out of the money needed for one of those x12 cassettes.

Weight and cost certainly isn’t a strong argument for 1X.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Ok, here’s my experience.

When I started MTB it was all about more gears. My first foray into MTB had 3x7, which was replaced by a 3x9 and that by a 3x10. Thirty gears! THIRTY!! Then the world moved on and 1x became the thing. I also realised that out of the 30 gears I had, I really only used about 12 to 13 of them, those being all 10 on the middle ring and then occasionally the largest 2 gears on the smallest chainring and the smallest gear on the large chainring, but the occasions I moved off of the middle ring were few and far between. I generally got on OK with 3x but occasionally it would get all clagged up with mud, to the point of having to stop and clear it sometimes. And there was always the chance of chain rub.

Then I made a project gravel bike out of an old MTB and I made it 1x10, just becasuse I could and I didn’t have one. I immediately discovered that I didn’t miss the front mech and liked the simplicity and no mudclag. I had geared it for climbing (34T, 11-36) so it did spin out on fast roads but it spent most time offroad anyway so I wasn’t that bothered, but even so once I had proved the concept to myself I fitted a wider cassette (11-42) and longer chainring (36T), which is how it now stands.

In the mean time I picked up a modern full-sus with 1x12 which never left me without a gear, so I look back to my venerable hardtail, with those 30 gears. Eventually it came time to replace the cassette and since I was in the mood I decided to update the whole chainset. I picked up a 11-46T cassette and fitted an oval 36T ‘ring, along with an appropriate derailleur and chain. At first I noticed the big gaps between gears but soon enough I got used to it and now, once again, I enjoy a simpler set-up which is easier to clean. Again, this bike is off road almost exclusively so I rarely spin-out and if I do so what, I am not chasing time on the road.

My road bike is 2x10 and will never go single-ring, as it works better for the riding on road.

So, in summary….. well, I’m sold for off-road, yes the cassettes are big and costly but the bikes are simpler, easier to clean and far less likely to get bunged up.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Surprised your front triple mech was getting bunged up with mud. Never had that issue, and I suspect if you were the rear mech and the wheels would be getting clogged up as well.

On one memorable ride it was so bad I used most of my water (that’s nearly 3 litres) trying to clear it - luckily I knew that a feed stop was not much further. True enough, the tyres and rear mech were also covered, but still turning.

Top Bottom