MTB's without front derailleur, When/Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy K

It has been a long time since I last bought an MTB (into the double figures) and whist looking around I have noticed that many things have changed!
The main thing that seems to be common place is no front derailleur or at least it looks like that to me.
As per the thread when and why?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
the 1x has been around for a few years now. It's less weight and more simplified that a 2x or 3x setup (where many of the gear ratios are duplicated anyway). Ironically, it's more expensive too in most cases.

It's not for every rider or scenario though.

How many sprockets did your last bike have ? You can get 12 on a bike now. You can get a very decent range of gears with just the one chainring and no duplicates like you'd get on a triple.

Jody

Stubborn git
Also, extra clearance to stop chain ring strikes and not forgetting the all important aesthetics of the bike.

Threevok

Of course, if you're that worried about simplification and aesthetics, you could always go Single-Speed :whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_3074.JPG
    IMG_3074.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 12

Threevok

I don't have one, so I don't yet know the answer to that.

Me neither, but it's something I do on the singlespeed sometimes. Also try to clip out of flat pedals too - not good on the ankles :laugh:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I converted my Cannondale to 1x7 recently. Mainly because I use it on the road and the 22t inner ring was mostly unused, plus the Microshift front mech and shifter was an absolute bastard to keep in tune.

A 36 chainring with a 12/32 cassette suits what is now a very leisurely riding pace quite adequately and without the shifter I can get the bell close enough to my thumb to operate it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My Stumpjumper is a triple and my Bossnut is a 1x. Both work fine but the triple is more of a faff. The 1x is simpler but I spin out at about 20 mph on it. As I only use it for very leisurley rides or on gnarly stuff that is not a major issue.

OP
OP
A

Andy K

How many sprockets did your last bike have ? You can get 12 on a bike now. You can get a very decent range of gears with just the one chainring and no duplicates like you'd get on a triple.
7 with 3 chainrings. It did the trick tbh, though had an issue a month back in which the rim blew due to over inflation (Gauge was giving incorrect reading). Struggling to find a replacement and in all fairness it's time to buy a new bike haha

Top Bottom