Mud guards for Boardman Womens Hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butcherf1988

Regular
Hi,

I currently have a Pembleton Brooke hybrid bike and the mud guards are not particularly good and cannot cope well with winds, or occasional bumps on the country roads I frequently cycle along in the Aylesbury Vale area. I created a post last week regarding upgrading my bike and have decided on a Boardman Womens Hybrid or a cross bike. Please could anyone advise what would make good quality mud guards.....? Are SKS any good? Also what mudguards are appropriate for the Womens Boardman HYB 8.6?

Any comments will be welcomed...

Fliss

lane

Veteran
My wife and daughter have the Boardman. They have SKS guards. Due to the position of rotar on (i think) the rear wheel I have to fit with three mud guard stays only but this seems to work fine. I will try to post a photo on this thread a bit later.

OP
OP
Butcherf1988

Butcherf1988

Regular
My wife and daughter have the Boardman. They have SKS guards. Due to the position of rotar on (i think) the rear wheel I have to fit with three mud guard stays only but this seems to work fine. I will try to post a photo on this thread a bit later.
Brilliant. That would be useful to see a photo. Do they like the Boardman bike? How far do they ride on it roughly? I usually do circa 100 miles per week comprising of routine trips into my nearby town and also a few lengthy countryside rides..... Fliss

lane

Veteran
Yes they do like the bikes. They don't tend to do great distances on them, more family rides. I think they would be fine for longer distances though. Prices on line are normally cheaper than in store but store will match if you ask.

vickster

Legendary Member
Halfords (or possibly Cycle Republic) fitted SKS commuters to my disc braked Boardman CX with no bother. Just ask the shop to sort (I paid a fiver I think and they price matched the mudguards, they'll probably do it for free if done when buying the bike

lane

Veteran
Halfords (or possibly Cycle Republic) fitted SKS commuters to my disc braked Boardman CX with no bother. Just ask the shop to sort (I paid a fiver I think and they price matched the mudguards, they'll probably do it for free if done when buying the bike

I think the advice to get Halfords to sort it makes complete sense. Here is a photo of the bike with rack and guards fitted:

40283727924_81287a5d3f_z.jpg

OP
OP
Butcherf1988

Butcherf1988

Regular
Ive now ordered the Boardman HYB 8.6 from Halfords. I was wondering what mudguards are best suited for the bike? Anyone got any fotos? Ive been advised by Halfords that the following are quite good:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...pic-racer-mudguard-set-matt-black-700c-x-45mm

What do you all think? I do quite a lot of road cycling with some occasional slightly off track/bit of gravel.

I personally wonder if the ones recommended by Halfords are a bit big? What do you all think?

Fliss

Jenkins

Legendary Member
From the spec on the Boardman web site, the HYB 8.6 is on 37mm wide tyres so the 45mm Blumels suggested by Halfords are the correct fit and a good choice. Another option from SKS are the Chromoplsatics in 45mm size available in black or silver.

lane

Veteran
Looks a very nice bike. The guards recommended are in my opinion very good. As far as I can see the tyres on the bike are 700x37 (37 is the width) and if so I don't think the recommended guards are too wide and look to be an appropriate recommendation.

OP
OP
Butcherf1988

Butcherf1988

Regular
OK, thank you. That's very re-assuring . I'll stick with what the guy advised. He told me he has 3 of his own bikes and uses those guards on all of his bikes and he was an ex distance road cyclist so I guess he probably knows quite a bit about bikes..... I just wanted to be sure and to get a few more opinions..... Fliss

Top Bottom