Muddyfox Cycling Gear

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I use some of this gear and find it OK. Judging by the number of people seen wearing the tops when out cycling lots of other people use it as well.

Pauluk

I've got a couple of Muddyfox short sleeve high viz shirts and they are good for the price. I've also got some non padded shorts for cycling in the rain, but I've not worn them yet (most of the rain has been on my return journeys so not had them on).

They are not the greatest quality but ok for the price.

"featuring a breathable mesh lined body ..." This sort of thing annoys me.

I would think that the jacket will, like most others, be boil-in-a-bag and only suitable for quite cool/cold days. If you cycle hard you will sweat and it won't get out. If you don't cycle hard or sweat then it'll be ok to keep a cold wind out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Alright, forget the jacket then. What clothes would you guys recommend? I'm on a pretty tight budget and I was looking for something relatively cheap.

Mapster5

I've got a muddy fox bib suit (or whatever there called) and a long sleeved top that I wear if it's cooler there fine. The padding isn't as thick as on my better quality stuff but that's the price you pay also got some shorts but don't wear them very often cos of issues with the draw string. See a lot of people in the bright coloured tops when I'm out too!

Pauluk

jazloc, not sure what you are after and why. You can ride in normal leisure clothes. Polo shirts, rugby shirts, shorts etc.

I like wearing high viz shirts for my commute in traffic so I have more chance of being seen by motorists.

In summer rain, less is more. Shorts that don't feel wet when it pours down so the Muddyfox high viz shirts and shorts are good for this (although I don't know how long the shorts would stand up to the rides).

I'm currently looking for some hi viz, thin long sleeve shirts/jerseys for when the weather gets a bit cooler (cooler than it is now).

I don't want to spend a fortune on cycling clothes especially as you need more than one set if you cycle nearly every day.

So I would say go for the Muddyfox short sleeve shirts for the summer, they are good value for money. Shorts possibly. Jacket, not sure. You can buy better ones, I have a Hi viz Dare-to-B for cooler days and its very good (still boil-in-a-bag though) for £40.

Psyklon

I have that jacket and yes, as said it's a boil-in-the-bag! But does the job so no complaints really at that price!

Peteaud

Veteran
The jacket is boil in the bag, but for the money its ok.

Best thing sports direct do are the wicking shirts for running,cheap and work well, i have 4 of them.

Shorts - you dont need them, any comfy shorts or joggers will do.

redcard

Veteran
jazloc, I've got some Aldi cycling shorts I don't wear - think I wore them once, then realise I don't really need the padding.
Also got Sports Direct bib pants I don't wear, like these - http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cycling-bib-shorts-mens-636224 - but with a bit of green.

I'll give you these and you save your money for a decent pair.

Also, might be worth taking a trip to Aldi or Lidl - they both do cycling gear which is better and sometimes cheaper than Sports Direct. http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=32410

Maylian

Veteran
I own a couple of muddy fox tops which I do like, nice and breathable and good quality in my opinion. Certainly better than some of the more expensive stuff I own and it does the job well for my daily commute. It dries out well, hugs the body but doesn't make you overheat and personally I think it makes me look pretty hot! I also have a pair of fox bib shorts and attack gloves both of which I like, the gloves especially.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fox-air-cool-race-jersey-2012/

Are the ones that I have which I really like. But like others say you don't need to spend a fortune to get decent quality items especially if you're just commuting or pottering around on the bike.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

As soon as I leave to buy the shorts, I get flooded with replies! I got the shorts, they're actually quite good. I'm used to riding in baggy shorts which moved around a lot and were pretty uncomfortable, these ones are tight fitting and are padded - the padding isn't as thick as other shorts but that means it's less like a 'nappy' and more comfortable (in my opinion).

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The other half bought some when she first got the road bike, but after a couple of weeks i lent her my endura bibs wich she felt more comfortable in, now she does not wear the muddy fox stuff, she wears castelli and loves them, you pays your money and takes your choice, at the end of the day you get what you pay for.:whistle:

Sandra6

Veteran
Do you have a DW gym and shop near you? Their own brand running /cycling stuff is quite good.
I usually just search through the online stores sale items. I got a fab pair of pearl izumi shorts for £25 which usually sell for more than double that.

Top Bottom