Mudguard on wrong way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thelostgirl

Hi everyone. I'm very much a beginner to cycling but I had a nasty accident a while back which put me off for a bit. When I did have my accident (silly as I was) I got a friend to assemble the bicycle. I didn't realise until long after I'd thrown the slightly damaged bike back into the darkest depths of the shed, but the front mudguard had somehow been put on backwards (it was covering the front side of the front wheel rather than the side closer to the pedals, if that makes sense). It got me thinking, would the incorrect placement of the front mudguard have contributed to me coming off the bike? I think the reason I did go over was more to do with an uneven cycle path, the bike frame being just a tad too big for me and me going too quickly, but I am curious anyway. The damage is done now and I'm (almost) ready to get back on the horse so to speak (well, bicycle) but I think I will opt for something a bit smaller next time.

Anyway, thank you for reading, your thoughts are appreciated greatly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A picture might help - I'd like to know how they got it on backwards. You don't say what type of guard, full length or clip on - photos help.

If it did cause the accident, the guard would be all bent as it would have had to stop the wheel. If it's not bent, then it's unlikely to have caused it. Uneven cycle paths can be tricky if you don't have suitable tyres or experience.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
A common issue when inexperienced people assemble bikes is to have the front forks the wrong way round, this will change the balance of the bike and contribute towards an over the handlebar accident. If a mudguard is fitted then it will be the wrong way round also.

fork-backwards.png

Most modern mudguards are fitted with break away clips that snap if something gets stuck in between the mudguard and tyre. If the clips are not present the bike and rider can flip.

break-away-stays-close-up.jpg

sanddancer

Some good advice above and just like to add when you say the frame a tad too big.
how tall are you and what size frame ?

People on here can advise you on this and setting your seat height etc .

Glad to hear your ok and getting back on a bike.
if your are very new to cycling maybe you could find a nice quiet level area to practice. ;)

Top Bottom