Mudguards For A 700x40c.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Yes it's a dilemma,I've got mine to do & I was thinking along the lines of a junior hacksaw and them put the plastic caps back on, I don't think cable cutters are any where near up to the job.
The trick with thick wire is to nick one side and then bend and snap it like a tree trunk.

File off the burr and the job's a goodun.

DRM

Guru
The trick with thick wire is to nick one side and then bend and snap it like a tree trunk.

File off the burr and the job's a goodun.
Thats the plan, plus you won't cut into the mudguard and damage it

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn’t a 45mm mudguard going to be very tight on a 40mm tyre which could be slightly bigger when inflated?
Leaves not much space for the crap that can build up if the roads are mucky (@Lovacott are you riding on roads that carry agriculture ? I’d want more clearance probably if so.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Isn’t a 45mm mudguard going to be very tight on a 40mm tyre which could be slightly bigger when inflated?
Leaves not much space for the crap that can build up if the roads are mucky (@Lovacott are you riding on roads that carry agriculture ? I’d want more clearance probably if so.
I've bought the 45mm because the 60mm isn't available at the moment.

If they don't work on the hybrid, they will fit the road bike which doesn't have any guards at the moment.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've bought the 45mm because the 60mm isn't available at the moment.

If they don't work on the hybrid, they will fit the road bike which doesn't have any guards at the moment.
The 60s were linked up thread, actually 50s & 65s were

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
The 60s were linked up thread, actually 50s & 65s were
Both links showed anything above 45 as greyed out when I was actually doing the purchase.

Like I said, if they don't work on the hybrid, they will be perfect for the road bike and I'll wait a while for the right sized set to become available for the hybrid.

In Devon, you never know when it's going to rain (no matter what the forecast says).

Gunk

Guru
You’ll be fine, I run 35mm blades with 32c tyres and they provide plenty of protection plus give a nice “fitted” look

vickster

Legendary Member
Both links showed anything above 45 as greyed out when I was actually doing the purchase.

Like I said, if they don't work on the hybrid, they will be perfect for the road bike and I'll wait a while for the right sized set to become available for the hybrid.

In Devon, you never know when it's going to rain (no matter what the forecast says).
One says 3 in stock and one says 8 in stock with no greying out so that’s odd (post #9) (I don’t mean the Spa link, which does have greyed out in the drop down)

but no bother

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
One says 3 in stock and one says 8 in stock with no greying out so that’s odd (post #9) (I don’t mean the Spa link, which does have greyed out in the drop down) but no bother
I am aiming for the gloss black version and not the Chromoplastic one?

Ney bother though. It will fit the roadbike regardless and I can buy a wider one for the hybrid.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
They look gloss black in the pics, :scratch:anyhow
I can now see that they are available in gloss black in 60mm on the Rutland site, but that was not the mudguard I was after.

I want the one with stainless wire and fittings which was only available on the Spa site in a 45mm width.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
For 40mm you want a guard around 53-55mm

Just an update on the SKS guards I fitted to the Voodoo Marasa.

The bike is advertised as having mudguard mounts, but for starters, the front mech position prevents any mudguard being fitted to the seat tube mudguard mount.

Also, the disc brake mounting screws at the rear conflict with the mudguard stays and need about 8mm of spacers to take them clear.

I've got the front of the rear mudguard strapped to the seat tube with a cable tie.

SKS mudguards only come with assembly fixings but nothing to fix the guards to the bike (I knew this already having read the reviews).

The only way to trim the stays, is to use a vice and angle grinder. Nothing else will touch them.

However, all that aside, once they are set up they are very good mudguards, smart to look at and they do the job brilliantly.

I'm very happy with my buy.

Top Bottom