Mudguards rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonht

hi all,

Just got a new bike - escape 0 disc from tredz and got them to fit new mudguards on it too. SKS chromoplastics, i went for the 45 size as im on 35 tyres (guide was fits 28-37 tyres). As i got the bike i noticed the rear mudguard was slightly off centre so ive adjusted it so its the same distance both sides, but its snug by about 2-3cm clearance. Took the bike out for a ride in the wet and noticed around the back tyre a grey line around where the mudguards would touch if they moved, nothing on the front at all. Is it likely dirt / debri would cause this or is it possible my mudguards are rubbing / digging in the tyre? The grey line is on both sides so i wondered if it was rubbing on corners or whether it was touching as i went over bumps or something.. wondered if anyones seen this or experienced this - or whether im being paranoid?

Slick

Guru
Probably nothing, I have the same on .y commuter and can't imagine them doing any damage even if they were rubbing. I think the noise would do your nut in long before it would damage the tyres anyway.

Reactions: C R

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
2-3mm is stupidly close. Are the guards hanging very low? Probably worth raising them a little. Depending on the tyre make and model, it's likely to be under or over the stated 35mm and the whole wheel could easily be bending as you corner. It could even be the frame that's flexing which isn't unusual.
I run 38mm tyres under 45mm SKS Longboards and have waaaaaaay more room than 2-3mm.

IMG_20190909_230238.jpg

OP
OP
J

jasonht

Its cm not mm - but the line is just perfectly in line with the back of the mudguard holders. I'll try photo tomorrow so you can see what i mean for clarity.

OP
OP
J

jasonht

just realised it was something much more simple riding this morning. the bike tyre is flat. its a new bike so a bit miffed, will complain - but do you know how you can pump tubeless tyres (giant escape 0) - do you need a proper pump / co2 inflater or can you just a standard hand pump? trying to google tubeless tyres maintenance and cant find anything

vickster

Legendary Member
just realised it was something much more simple riding this morning. the bike tyre is flat. its a new bike so a bit miffed, will complain - but do you know how you can pump tubeless tyres (giant escape 0) - do you need a proper pump / co2 inflater or can you just a standard hand pump? trying to google tubeless tyres maintenance and cant find anything
Take it back, get the shop to sort

vickster

Legendary Member
Online order so not as easy as that sadly. Am calling them this morning..

Ah the issue with ordering online....
Tredz are part of Halfords group, do you have a Cycle Republic closeby (bike focused unlike Halfords, more competent mechanics generally) - ask Tredz if you can take it there (at their expense)....is it possible however, that you have simply punctured the tyre (there's always more cr@p on the roads in the wet)?

Are they actually tubeless or just tubeless ready. Whatever, you need to pump them up weekly so buy a decent track pump, it's slightly unreasonable to complain about your tyres not being pumped up when the bike arrived, you need to learn to do basic stuff like that.

Post some pictures of the mudguards and tyre valves and we can proffer an opinion on the fitting. 2/3mm is very close, any road debris you pick up will rub briefly or get stuck and rub.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they actually tubeless or just tubeless ready. Whatever, you need to pump them up weekly so buy a decent track pump, it's slightly unreasonable to complain about your tyres not being pumped up when the bike arrived, you need to learn to do basic stuff like that.

Post some pictures of the mudguards and tyre valves and we can proffer an opinion on the fitting. 2/3mm is very close, any road debris you pick up will rub briefly or get stuck and rub.
He says 2-3CM as discussed above in posts 3-5

OP
OP
J

jasonht

Ah the issue with ordering online....
Tredz are part of Halfords group, do you have a Cycle Republic closeby (bike focused unlike Halfords, more competent mechanics generally) - ask Tredz if you can take it there (at their expense)....is it possible however, that you have simply punctured the tyre (there's always more cr@p on the roads in the wet)?

yeah, my cycle republic is a little out of reach for me. there is a halfords nearby and ive already asked for them to look into it. the rubbing / grey line on the tyres appeared within about 5 minutes of riding the bike. so i highly doubt it was punctured through use but possible. i think it was already flat/damaged in transit at a guess.

I am quite happy to buy a pump and get this sorted but was miffed to get this as a brand new bike for it to be flat straight away. the tyres are giant easyride tubeless - they are definitely tubeless tyres not just tubeless ready.

I am a bit clueless reading online about the maintenance, do i need a proper co2 canister / pressurised pump or will a hand pump / floor pump suffice? understand i need to learn all this stuff but as a new rider im all new to it, apologies for stupid questions

edit: also yes, its 2-3cm, i never said mm but think somebody misread that

Top Bottom