Mudguards rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Anyone who cannot do basic maintenance should not buy a bike online. If you need to get someone to do something as simple as pump a tyre up you really need to purchase your bikes from a sympathetic local shop.

Might seem harsh, but crap happens even with something brand new and having to sort it with a mail order company is a nightmare.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone who cannot do basic maintenance should not buy a bike online. If you need to get someone to do something as simple as pump a tyre up you really need to purchase your bikes from a sympathetic local shop.

Might seem harsh, but crap happens even with something brand new and having to sort it with a mail order company is a nightmare.

Assuming the OP had to put on pedals/straighten bars, pull up the seat, pumping up tyres comes into that as well - probably in the instruction leaflet that nobody reads. :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming the OP had to put on pedals/straighten bars, pull up the seat, pumping up tyres comes into that as well - probably in the instruction leaflet that nobody reads. :whistle:
As the OP, I’d get ah LBS to check anything that was adjusted out of the box to make sure tight enough. Losing a pedal is inconvenient

I am a bit clueless reading online about the maintenance, do i need a proper co2 canister / pressurised pump or will a hand pump / floor pump suffice? understand i need to learn all this stuff but as a new rider im all new to it, apologies for stupid questions
CO2 is for emergencies, get you home kind of thing, you always need to top up the tyre later with a proper pump. A decent hand pump like a Lezyne will do for carrying with you on the bike but a decent track pump for use at home makes life much easier. Tyres generally need topping up weekly and a quick check before every ride for anything stuck in the tyre and a hardness check is a good habit to form, as is a quick glance over the bike.

upload_2019-9-10_12-11-49.png

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As the OP, I’d get ah LBS to check anything that was adjusted out of the box to make sure tight enough. Losing a pedal is inconvenient

But that will cost him. Buying out of the box needs checking - mud guards will get moved. If the OP can't do this then LBS to check. That's the issue with on-line.

vickster

Legendary Member
But that will cost him. Buying out of the box needs checking - mud guards will get moved. If the OP can't do this then LBS to check. That's the issue with on-line.
I meant the adjustments he made to the assembled bike that when he took it out of the box to make it rideable

vickster

Legendary Member
Seem about right to me for tubed and I believe he has tubes not tubeless.
He says tubesless in post #13

Maybe it's this bike?
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-0-Disc-2019-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_200582.htm

Ajax Bay

Guru
SKS chromoplastics, i went for the 45 size as im on 35 tyres (guide was fits 28-37 tyres). As i got the bike i noticed the rear mudguard was slightly off centre so ive adjusted it so its the same distance both sides, but its snug by about 2-3cm clearance [this dimension/units confirmed in later post by OP].
How can a 45mm mudguard offer "2-3cm" (20-30mm) clearance from a (nominally 35mm) tyre (at each side)? One could not describe 2-3cm clearance as "snug" (in the accepted sense of the word).

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom