Cassette Rubbing Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Hi guys after giving my hubs a service put the cassette back on all seemed good but when I put the rear wheel back on the cassette seems to be rubbing on the frame at the chain stays , once it's tightened up , any thoughts ?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Assume you have tried removing the wheel and re seating in the dropouts again? Also, are you sure the lockring is on correctly and spacer (if any)?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Hi yeah made sure it was sitting bang on it the drop outs , you mean locking on the cassette ? If so yes , if there is a spacer missing where would that have been positioned

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-181604.png
    Screenshot_20220205-181604.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20220205-181551.png
    Screenshot_20220205-181551.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20220205-181445.png
    Screenshot_20220205-181445.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 113
Did you put the SAME cassette back on?

I have seen bikes that won't work with an 11-tooth smallest sprocket on the cassette because the chain catches the frame.
yep I've had this or something very close to on some of my old frame builds.
11T cassettes are bad anyway - but so many are sold.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
yep I've had this or something very close to on some of my old frame builds.
11T cassettes are bad anyway - but so many are sold.
I was just wondering how many people really need an 11 but could actually do with a bigger sprocket at the other end of the cassette. Either that or smaller steps between their gears.

I had a 52/14 top gear for years, so ~3.7:1. That was occasionally a bit too low a ratio so more recently I have switched to 48/12, which is 4:1. I can ride to well over 50 kph (30+ mph) in that gear (downhill). Many bikes these days seem to have a 50/11 (4.4:1) or even a 52/11 (4.7:1) top gear. WHY! :wacko:

But, we digress... If a new cassette has been fitted, that is what I would check first. Missing spacers would surely mean the cassette potentially moving further from the stays since the spacers go on the inside next to the biggest sprocket?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

I was just wondering how many people really need an 11 but could actually do with a bigger sprocket at the other end of the cassette. Either that or smaller steps between their gears.

I had a 52/14 top gear for years, so ~3.7:1. That was occasionally a bit too low a ratio so more recently I have switched to 48/12, which is 4:1. I can ride to well over 50 kph (30+ mph) in that gear (downhill). Many bikes these days seem to have a 50/11 (4.4:1) or even a 52/11 (4.7:1) top gear. WHY! :wacko:

But, we digress... If a new cassette has been fitted, that is what I would check first. Missing spacers would surely mean the cassette potentially moving further from the stays since the spacers go on the inside next to the biggest sprocket?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Hi guys no it's the original cassette it has been off the bike and the free hub taken apart and put back together again and the cassette put back on the cassette is spinning and sounding sweet when not in the frame

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Something (dirt) on the splines stopping the freehub sliding as far on as it should?
Ill take off the cassette and have a clean up , incidentally the central axle locking nut should be proud of the cassette locking ring in this case they are virtually flush

Top Bottom