Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I’m thinking of getting SKS Raceblade Pro mudguards for my road bike (the ones that clip on and clip off) – any good or is there a good alternative? Also, what size is best for my requirements? I have Continental 4Season 700x25 on my BMC carbon road bike and Continental Gatorskin 700x25 on my Giant Defy 2 road bike.

J

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
You've had enough of the Giant Defy Mudguards I presume (they are crap) ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Raceblade design with the adjustable stay lengths and angles (may be the Pro) are a massive improvement over the old ones, but they still only cover the rear sections to save you and the BB from getting plastered. Your brake arms and headsets are still going to get pelted. Real mudguards will always be better if you can find a way to fit them.

kiwifruit

Über Member
Last year I brought mudguards for the first time for my Canyon, it was the crud mk2 and I just couldn't get along with it. Doesn't how I adjust it, it just keep rubbing. This year I brought the sks raceblade long what an improvement compare to the Crud. First attempt of fitting and no rub at all, been using it for the last 3 weeks and all good.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Crud guards no matter what fettling you do will star rubbing. Still got them on my fixed wheeler as it doesn't have the clearance for proper guards. My CX bike did have full guards fitted but got rid of them as I would have to remove to go racing etc. Now have them fitted with a SKS swan rear and the small guard on the down tube. Its enough and if its proper manky I just don`t bother riding, why would you lol .

crazyjoe101

The Raceblade design with the adjustable stay lengths and angles (may be the Pro) are a massive improvement over the old ones, but they still only cover the rear sections to save you and the BB from getting plastered. Your brake arms and headsets are still going to get pelted. Real mudguards will always be better if you can find a way to fit them.

All the pictures are gone from this thread now which is annoying, but you can see the 'finished product' in the image below. Essentially the best option I found for clip on mudguards when I was using them is to use SKS Raceblades along with the front part of the Crud ones for the BB area, you can then use the other spare part that comes with the Crud BB part to extend the rear or front mudflap.

TY5oI9K.jpg

kiwifruit

Über Member
All the pictures are gone from this thread now which is annoying, but you can see the 'finished product' in the image below. Essentially the best option I found for clip on mudguards when I was using them is to use SKS Raceblades along with the front part of the Crud ones for the BB area, you can then use the other spare part that comes with the Crud BB part to extend the rear or front mudflap.

View attachment 384022
I might just try that with my old Crud in the shed.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

View attachment 384022
That's exactly what I've done with mine - the top part of the Crud even bolts onto one of the raceblade metal mounting clips as if they were designed that way!

Nebulous

Guru
I did some audaxes last year, on a tarmac, which wasn't really suitable. I fitted the raceblade pros and they worked quite well in respect of keeping the worst of the mud off. Where they had an issue though is that they just directed a lot of the crud right onto the rear caliper. It made a horrible scraping noise and I pretty much chewed through a set of rear brake blocks on a 200. I swopped them for swisstop blue, which didn't seem to make much difference in the dry, but improved both the wear and the stopping in the wet.

sotkayak

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a brand of full length mudguards ,both front and back to fit a V brake old Giant Rock mtb/hybrid ? Rides are on often muddy cycle paths /bridleways and tracks as well as normal concrete and tarmac. This is the Bike

37674516416_0fa8470cdc_c.jpg DSCF3556 by andre dup, on Flickr

Top Bottom