Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
With summer on the way do you retain mudguards on road bikes?
I recently took mine off because when it rains you're gonna get wet anyhow if out on any kind of distance.
I'm interested to hear riders views and reasons for this :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit in my current fleet only 1 has gaurds fitted , and the 2 main commuters have water proof trousers strapped to them ready for action when it does rain , but then i only commute short distances .

some people think gaurds look un sightly , i dont

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
Yeah my commuter has them all year round for the same reasons but wondered about roadies. They just made the bike look older and sensible and i didn't use it much in winter as it was.

compo

Veteran
I have mudguards fitted all year round on my hybrid, which I ride the most. My road bike has no guards winter or summer.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My commuter has then on all year round.
My weekend bike doesn't have mudguards. I'm a fair weather cyclist on the weekend :smile:

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
Your location says North West UK; I think you must mean North West ENGLAND! Otherwise you wouldn't bother taking them off for the "summer" we get in the west of Scotland :rain:, and we're not even in the REAL north west!!
Yep you're spot on it's NW England. Just changed it :hello:

the snail

Guru
Seems this topic has been moved to here from beginners. Not sure why but apologies mods.
mods move in mysterious ways..
re mudguards, if I'm riding in a group behind someone without guards I have to drop back or overtake to avoid getting spattered with mud, also if you visit a cafe, then you won't be popular if you sit on their seats with mud sprayed up your back!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
All my bikes have guards (well the mtb didn't but that's dead now). Purely for practical reasons. It rains a lot here, I ride audaxes which can stipulate them, and I prefer not to finish a ride with a skid mark up my back :smile:

They also protect things like lights when it rains and save me from washing the bike every time it rains.

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
That was my thinking a little bit too. Either on or off. They are now off for the summer period but my riding will be selective. Can't do much about the rain when already out tho

Top Bottom