Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Have you managed to go out of your depth, Dave? That's the bit that I just can't do, ever, it makes me panic. Like you I had bad experiences being 'taught' to swim when I was at school, and have never really been able to get to grips with it since.

Not yet, I have to reach a set standard before they will let me, I'm not looking forward to it but I will if they let me. There was a school class in before our class and I was watching the school children doing there first time at the deep end, they are well organised when they do that.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks. I cycle with an adult swimming teacher, and she is insistent that she has never had a failure. I'm not at all convinced that I wouldn't be her first, or even whether I want to bother trying to be honest.
Whilst you might never be a convert to swimming (it's not my favourite hobby either), it is one of those useful skills to be able to float and be calm in the water. Why not give it a go and see if she is right..... or prove her wrong:whistle::whistle: (one of my friends is a swimming instructor too and loves the water but not bikes.... I can't convince her that they are brilliant!)

D

Deleted member 1258

Whilst you might never be a convert to swimming (it's not my favourite hobby either), it is one of those useful skills to be able to float and be calm in the water. Why not give it a go and see if she is right..... or prove her wrong:whistle::whistle: (one of my friends is a swimming instructor too and loves the water but not bikes.... I can't convince her that they are brilliant!)

Yes, one of the things that has been hard to learn is being calm in the water, I was doing one of our floating exercises this morning and was pleased with the way I calmly sorted it out when it went wrong.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm 65 and not a fan of water, I did badly when they tried to teach me to swim as a small boy. Now I'm retired I have time to try again, to over come my dislike of water and finally learn to swim, its been a major challenge and I've done well so far.
Same here, 'drowned' twice (dragged out of the water and pumped out) as a young child.

D

Deleted member 1258

Same here, 'drowned' twice (dragged out of the water and pumped out) as a young child.

An orrible experience, I can fully understand you being reluctant to go back in the water. It happened to one of our neighbours once when she was a child and she's the same.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sounds horrible. If that had happened to me, I'd never have gone near the water. As it stands, I'm one of the few people I know of capable of sailing(I don't have a boat) that can also swim. I had swimming lessons from when I was a toddler, as is traditional over here.

TVC

Yes, one of the things that has been hard to learn is being calm in the water, I was doing one of our floating exercises this morning and was pleased with the way I calmly sorted it out when it went wrong.
You have got the key to water confidence, calmness and staying relaxed. Everybody knows that humans float, but accepting that you are going to float is a totally different matter and I can understand why many people can't get the confidence to go out of their depth and let the water carry them. Good luck with your lessons.

postman

Legendary Member
As a teenager two lads i knew asked mre to go swimming at Meanwood Road baths,i enjoyed it,until they both dived under the water grabbed an ankle each and pulled me under.After surfacing,distressed i got out and never went back.I was 21 when i took Council lessons at the International Pool in Leeds Best thing i ever did,not a great swimmer i try not to go out of my depth,but i enjoy holidays with a pool now.aged 67.

TVC

As a teenager two lads i knew asked mre to go swimming at Meanwood Road baths,i enjoyed it,until they both dived under the water grabbed an ankle each and pulled me under.After surfacing,distressed i got out and never went back.I was 21 when i took Council lessons at the International Pool in Leeds Best thing i ever did,not a great swimmer i try not to go out of my depth,but i enjoy holidays with a pool now.aged 67.
I learned to swim in the International Pool in Leeds. I assume it has gone by now.

postman

Legendary Member
I learned to swim in the International Pool in Leeds. I assume it has gone by now.

Demolition began in the autumn of 2009. The walls to the western face of the centre were removed first, followed by the walls to the eastern side, leaving only the roof standing upon its support columns, and internal structure. These remains were subsequently demolished.

650px-Leeds_International_Pool_demolition_007.jpg
Panorama of demolition
Following demolition the site has not been redeveloped and since 2010 has been operated as two surface car parks by Leeds City Council.

GM

Legendary Member
A traffic jam on my commute home, Bl**dy egrets....

IMG_20170614_182500_520.JPG

Top Bottom