Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 407215
Somehow I seem to have about 4 of these knocking about that came with kids bikes over the years .

I'm sure I've seen one of those (or something similar) knocking about somewhere in dad's old tools, though beats me as he never did any bike tinkering. Or much tinkering of any sort really. But for the life of me, I can't put my hands on it...

I seem to remember trying to fix everything on the bike with one of these as a kid.. View attachment 407239

Yeah, have one of those too. Somewhere. Though my memory of those is that they're made of cheese...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes, thin enough - it's about 2mm thick. Used a ring spanner on the other side to undo. :smile:

The hub assembly I have is a lot more agricultural than in that pic though, although the pertinent bits are the same. :laugh:

P.S. I've taken a few engines apart in my time. I have a shattered piston that I cleaned up and turned into a rather nice paperweight. :blush:
I've got the top of an old Gardner diesel piston as an ashtray, it's a 120mm bore 'heron' type piston (flat head with a hemispherical recess in the crown and a 23mm flat 'squish band' with valve cut outs) It turned up with it's 5 mates in the scrap at a foundry I worked in so I sawed the crown off above the gudgeon pin (on a bandsaw) as the piston was about 9 inches tall, the crown I have is still 1.4 Kg though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
DSCN0189.JPG

A 1.4 kg piston crown.
DSCN0190.JPG

This was the damaged one in a set of 6, looks like a ring broke or the engine 'ingested' summat.

I may install a tube speaker system as seen in wartime Navy films so that I don't have to keep running up and down stairs relaying phone messages .

Top Bottom